News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond grading tool

Started by crashgtr, October 10, 2006, 06:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crashgtr

I read the book, saw the videos by Tormek and Jeff at Sharptoolsusa.com but it is still not 100% clear to me how the diamond dressing tool should be setup and used to true up the wheel.

I tried it but ended up with a lot of grooves!!

Does anyone have a couple of pictures or a video that zooms in on the setup up and proper angles to use the diamond tool?

Thanks,
Liz

sbachner

I've found that you need to be very patient to get a smooth surface on the wheel.  I move the dresser very slowly across the wheel, and many times retrace the area.  I use the forefinger of my right hand to apply pressure against the dresser (I move the dresser from left to right with the wheel on my left).  At the same time, I use my left thumb to push the dresser.  This kinda forces me to go slow.  Keep retracing the stone until the dresser hits the hard stop for the entire width of the stone.  I determine that more by the sound of the dresser contacting the stone, i.e., when you don't here contact, you're finished.

It just takes a little time, but it is worth it  :).

msrdnr

I make perhaps 10 trips back and forth across the stone. The resulting grooves are "erased" easily with the stone grader, leaving a perfectly smooth surface.