News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpen meatgrider blade

Started by Even, November 25, 2019, 10:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Even

Hello.

I have some sharpening jobs, and often get new things and try myself on.
Thought I was going to show how I sharpen knives for meat grinder.

Here it is important to get the plate with holes in and the knife plane itself.
There are several ways that are faster than the Tormek, but are fully possible with the Tormek.

I have used the DC-250, DE-250, SB-250 and SVX-150 base.

Starting with checking how flat the knife and plate are, these were almost brand new, so there is great potential for improvement.

Then I color the plane sides with a marker.
[imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/F4QfeMCJJ4FiuZsXn9ISZc34QEGH0Nt5YN9ujVPXr20fTGO6bNglPopBDFXZU6nciUUMt2cFYG1gyi3uJ8gMsOy4m_wqe6jq3EFf5ck45PgHd561IKjtMQf9hhB915qWmN0SsB-lcpHIFuzSyWrQASVxt6bdGJ_x2zhcJ0_UfXfvZE9fATC95Ke7I0oPbycwnVEv5uo2kzlYswxNPV1W-51e57KC4KbmwQF5ByWucj6L0sRLveTf6CFpsd3n6ut9d_bP18yF1oeW4nrYBzC0yppuj8Rq267989Vqoid4cc-qW_-64IPIADKGxhGX2f1y26e1tsb7fgwWw9oRH0wImxlJXN42QMD_VDDnS1T7gNKossJN_SVq8raz6C9USkpABN9GUa41hv0IycwWqj-E7IpF4-vFu7XhEKiZxidPsg117UI4R0ta5QVSmGmS3ylfUziF8f5T1SC_M9enf0rR0BkD6W3sBRo47lz94WBMhfs7kUChLmkpTDagKwaOaTIeSdvgpHaJ15wGNuiHSK99rpiR8ipTlVeSk2B65fLv_Kw2jAFYhC2tE1vIi1U7k_lcJuvQFcZ3ESRxkhX1BYkpT5Cze-HrVKpNairyFDit_hBIbq2QQ4OVyjSu71YcJKAkroR-BcNZh485BguxO913w4ejN-bWTKjeh3SoxDUXG6Ldt30G7dzKYkBMLZ2N-lJYW1s2rCIar4ynJEda9yM0PZZXvpjReRSOsTkUGqy5welVbf0=w510-h680-no[/img]http://Then I use the side of the DC-250 and spin the disc simultaneously as I grind.

Then I check if it is flat.

Then I do the same with the knife.

Then check for flatnes again.

And then I do it again with DE-250.

Then I remove the burr in the hole plate with a file.

Then it's time to sharpen the knife itself, color the egg with a marker, and then use the SVX-150 base on the side of the SB-250 and adjust until the marker is gone.

Then grind until I have a smooth grinding phase.

Finish off by dragging some light passes on a diamond plate # 2000 to remove the burr.

Then you will end with a meatgrinder wichis much better than new!

Even

RickKrung

The images are not showing up for me.  Anyone else? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Even

I see te images are not showing up today :o
It was working yesterday..
I have to check that up!

Edit:
has changed server location in the pictures, so think it should work now!

Jan

Even, thanks for sharing this well documented task! I believe that the meat grinder performs much better then new.

The images are showing up well for me here in Europe.

Jan

John_B

Now I wonder if my plates and cutter are flat. I am also wondering if properly sharpened it would cut noticeably easier.

Thanks for the step by step instructions.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

GeoTech

Great job and documentation on how you accomplished this.

Elden

Thank you, Even.

Ken, apparently the number of photos allowed in a post has changed from 8?
Elden

Ken S

Elden, I don't know about the maximum number of images. I believe the four only applies to the forum method of storing small images.

We made our traditional cranberry relish this evening. The blades in the photo look just like my Kitchenaid blades used to grind the relish. As a boy, I learned how to use the hand cranked meat grinder. In recent years, I switched to the Kitchenaid. (Please do not tell my mother.....)

Ken

RickKrung

Even,

Thanks for the excellent photo documentation of your grinder blade/disc sharpening.  Apparently, I did not see this thread again after your fixed the photo displays.  While there are few words describing your process, the photos do an excellent job of showing the steps and results.  I've saved all of it for further reference and bookmarked this thread.

At the time, I probably had little interest in this as I don't have a meat grinder and had not had any brought to me.  That situation had changed.  This fall, I began elk hunting here in the extremely rural and remote valley in which I live.  Wasn't successful, but one of my hunting partners was, early in the season, late August.  When the meat was ready to be processed, we began in the successful hunter's carport.  It was hot and there were flies everywhere.  I offered my fully enclosed and air conditioned garage/shop.  The other two gladly accepted and we finished three more butchering and grinding days in my garage. 

We wore out/broke the borrowed meat grinder :(  I think we burned out the motor.  I don't know what has been done to replace that unit, but the three of us joined in buying a purpose specific, heavy duty game meat processing grinder, in anticipation of two more elk this season and for future seasons.  The one guy used it to grind up the scraps/gristle that he cooks up for dog food. 

I anticipate we will want to sharpening that grinder's blades/discs in the future, so I will reference your post/photos again when that time comes.  Thanks for posting this. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.