News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support -- what is the internal thread size?

Started by octimon, November 28, 2020, 02:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ega

Quote from: Ken S on December 10, 2020, 04:20:39 PM
[...]
Since 2006, all Tormek shafts have been made of stainless steel. What I don't understand is why the clone manufacturers are still using regular steel!

Ken
I have very limited experience of the clone manufacturers' products but you have highlighted a very good reason to avoid their machines!
The world moves on, however, and now we have ACC to save us from our folly (my mistake was in not using my machine for an extended period; as they say, use it or lose it).
The new shaft gave Tormek the opportunity to introduce the excellent EzyLock nut which would not, of course, have fitted the old shaft.

RichColvin

I look at it this way, Tormek is really one of the few companies doing any kind of R&D for sharpening.  And the others I know who are doing this are targeted at machine shops (and significantly more expensive!).

So, do you want to keep supporting those who are moving the industry forward, or do you want to support who are only copying all the good ideas of other?  I opt for the former.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I agree, Rich.

Also, a minor point, for several years, the Tormek stainless steel shafts were identical to the regular straight non stainless shafts they replaced. My original (2009 vintage) T7 originally had a straight stainless shaft. Shortly after that, Tormek switched to EZYlock.

Ken

ega

Ken S:
Thank you for putting me right about the stainless shaft; rather a shame my version of its history was not correct!

octimon

Following up from my earlier post, I just received word back from Tormek Support re the metal used in the universal support:

"It is not stainless steel.
It is made of construction steel SS2172.(Fe490) (A 570 Gr. 50)"

ega

Apologies and thanks to anyone who replied to my posts in my absence from the forum.
Stay safe, stay sharp!