News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Universal Support -- what is the internal thread size?

Started by octimon, November 28, 2020, 02:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

octimon

I'd like to machine an extension to the US-105 Universal Support bar, linking to the internal thread in the US-105 bar.  I can't seem to locate any specs for the US-105 that give the thread size.  I realize that other Tomek bolts-with-knobs fit, but I can't seem to locate their thread size either.

Thanks for helping a newbie to this forum,
Don

micha

Don,

that's a standard metric M6 thread.
The Tormek knob screws, of course, are also M6.

You may just need the correct tap drill, but if you're interested in details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_metric_screw_thread

Hope it helps,
Mike

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Octimon.

Micha's answer is correct. I assume you are referring to the threaded hole in the end of the support bar where the stop screw goes. (On the SE76/77 this screw keeps the tool in the jig from falling off the grinding wheel.)

Ken

octimon

Great -- thanks a lot for your help.  Much appreciated.

BeSharp

It's M6 x 1.0mm, the most common M6 size and thread pitch ("standard pitch"). The lesser common one is M6 x .75mm ("fine pitch").

ega

It was helpful to have this detail confirmed.

I, too, wanted an extended support. My existing ones pre-date the M6 thread and I opted to make my own from scratch, fastening the legs to the arm with screws.

Visible on the far side of the machine in my photo is a simple drop link allowing some use of the diamond wheel's face.

octimon

octimon

Here's my reason for asking.

Making an extension went more smoothly than I expected.  I turned a .5" rod on a metalworking lathe, drilled and tapped the end with the M6 tap, threaded the M6 threaded rod into the .5" rod, reverse-chucked the .5" rod with the threads held in the three-jaw chuck so that the .5" rod could be turned concentric around the threads, and reduced the rod to the exact diameter of the universal support.  The extension fits perfectly, and all the Tormek components slide nicely across the coupling. 

Now that I know that this modification works, I'd like to upgrade to the same metal rod as the universal support.  Question: what metal is the universal support arm made of?

Thanks for your help.

Ken S

Good question, Octimon.

I suppose the answer is probably regular steel or stainless. With the shaft (Now EZYlock), the hardware on the "wet" end (grinding wheel) is stainless; the hardware on the "dry" end (leather honing wheel) is non stainless steel.
I believe your best answer will come from an email to support (support@tormek.se). Support is very helpful; I email them frequently.
Please post their answer.

Ken

ega

Quote from: octimon on December 07, 2020, 04:06:44 AM
What kind of metal rod did you use?

I assume this question was prompted by my post; I used ordinary 1/2" machinable stainless steel rod.

I don't know what the Tormek item is made of.

It sounds as though your extension will be a great success. Your method clearly worked but I think you may have been rather lucky; modifying an existing support seemed rather daunting to me, hence my decision to make from scratch.

octimon

I do like your design and the method of construction.  Am I right in thinking that it's made of 303 stainless steel rod?

I will send a question to Tormek to ask about the metal(s) used in the universal support.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll be interested to hear what they say.

ega

Quote from: octimon on December 08, 2020, 02:39:57 AM
I do like your design and the method of construction.  Am I right in thinking that it's made of 303 stainless steel rod?

I will send a question to Tormek to ask about the metal(s) used in the universal support.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll be interested to hear what they say.
octimon:
Thank you.
My rod was in fact grade 316 which I understand is "excellent" for corrosion resistance.

RickKrung

Quote from: octimon on December 08, 2020, 02:39:57 AM
...snip...

They appear to be chrome plated to me.  And they are highly magnetic, which in itself isn't definitive as some stainless steels are moderately magnetic.  Stainless would be fairly expensive.  My guess is any grade of regular steel is the underlying metal. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

ega

Here in the UK the US-430 is just over £70 from my usual supplier. My support took the best part of 1metre of stainless rod which cost me under £20 delivered.
The Tormek item would need to be made from weldable material since, understandably, welding is the production method. I don't think that corrosion resistance is particularly important in this location - the support is easily wiped dry - but I have never understood why the original wheel spindles were made from non-stainless steel.

Ken S

Ega,
In your case, with access to a machine shop, making your own is a very logical saving. For users who do not have that access, purchasing a US-430 seems the more cost effective choice.

I agree, the support bar area seems like a dry area. Some of my support bars are ten years old, and show no signs of rust.

Most of the stories I have heard about badly rusted shafts (spindles) are from users who left the grinding wheels in water between grinding sessions and/or who never regreased the nylon bushings. I don't believe that Tormek anticipated this. Consequently, Tormek redesigned the shaft. Since 2006, all Tormek shafts have been made of stainless steel. What I don't understand is why the clone manufacturers are still using regular steel!

Ken