News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Dealing with Jig jiggle

Started by BradGE, November 13, 2020, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGE

When holding the adjustable stop of the SVM45 in one hand and the clamp in the other there is some play between the two (ie they can move laterally by a few mm independently of one another).  This happens with all five of my SVM45s, so I assume its a constant feature.  Given the precision of all things Tormek I was wondering if anyone has tried to prevent this movement via o-rings, thread tape or other ideas?  I have to say I don't notice any performance issues with this, and grinding in one direction across the stone means would be consistently pushed to one side...  It's just that with all another aspects of sharpening needing to be millimetre perfect, this jiggle seems like an outlier to me.

Thanks!

PE Pete

I have a similar experience in that I've noticed the micro adjustment knob at the top of the jig has a tendency to turn very slightly as I'm working it across the USB.
I've set my jigs up so the top of the jig shaft is flush with the top of the plastic micro adjustment dial so I have a visual reference but I'm wondering if I'd be better to tighten it all the way in the hope of restricting the possible movement of the micro adjustment dial.

RickKrung

Quote from: BradGE on November 13, 2020, 02:45:57 PM
... I have to say I don't notice any performance issues with this, and grinding in one direction across the stone means would be consistently pushed to one side... 

I found that movement annoying, but I thing it is a non-issue because I agree with your statement above.  I haven't checked but I suspect there is negligible change in the actual projection distance as the adjustable stop wiggles that little bit.  It is too late for me to check, as I have discarded the O-rings in favor of the "Tormek discontinued" locking screw on the adjustable stop. 

Quote from: RickKrung on October 04, 2018, 05:44:04 PM
...snip...
That is not likely to happen for me, as I have "abandoned the O-ring" and gone back to putting locking screws in the collars (I remove the O-rings as they only get in the way).  I have done this by drilling and tapping the holes using an M6x1 tap.  As a machinist, I shudder at hearing CB's method of using the screw to thread the collar.  While obviously functional, it runs the risk of creating very shallow threads that could easily strip, resulting in the situation that caused Tormek to abandon the threaded locking screw. 
...snip...

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Josu V

I found this "problem" too...

Solution:  two or three rounds of painterĀ“s tape around the jig just at the end of adjustable stop.

I think like RickKrung; this light movement is not relevant about final result... but only see the movement it makes me nervous  :-[

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum