News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Online Class November 12

Started by Ken S, November 11, 2020, 11:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Tormek will be adding a class on turning tools to its recent lineup of online classes. It will air Thursday, November 12 (English version). It will join the DVD made for Tormek by Jeff Farris (long the gold standard of Tormek videos in my opinion) as well as some very well done shorter videos recently done by Nick Agar for Tormek.

Those of you who have read my posts over the years know that I frequently have grumbled about the lack of good training videos from Tormek. This is finally changing. I applaud Tormek's recent training program! Here is a link to the training class:

https://youtu.be/7aHmc43RUY4

Ken

Ken S

I just finished watching the new Tormek online class for turning tools. It more than exceeded my high expectations.
Over the years, the videos made for Tormek about turning tools have been Tormek's best work. Until now, I have thought that the DVD made for Tormek byJeff Farris was Tormek's finest video production. I would alter that statement only slightly and state that Jeff's video is one of Tormek's finest productions. There are enough subtle differences that I find both essential training. Jeff's DVD includes very good actual turning training. I would also include both the you tubes made for Tormek by Nick Agar and the DVDs sold by Glenn Lucas as essential.

So, outstanding job, Wolfgang and Sebastien. You have done an outstanding job of expanding Tormek's turning tool sharpening. I also commend you on your coverage of the diamond wheels.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

Ken S

The woodturning class is the first online class to actually use one of the diamond wheels. I found the discussion comparing the diamond and traditional grinding wheels the most comprehensive and informative that Tormek has presented. To its credit, Tormek has never used "diamonds are forever" implications to sell diamond wheels. Yes, diamond wheels are long lasting; however, the class emphasized the practical benefits of diamond wheels. Diamond wheels cut fast and their diameter remains constant. Related to the constant diameter, no truing is required. In my opinion, truing is not a big deal; although not having to adjust set up to compensate for diameter changes is a definite plus, especially when switching between grinding wheels.

Much of my exploring beyond the SG-250 has been a quest for a coarser grinding wheel. The class made me more aware of the benefits of the DF-250 600 grit wheel. Most of the time we sharpen rather than reshape. I appreciate the class not being a marketing op trying to sell all three grits. I was also pleased to see flat sharpening on the side of the wheel mentioned as a possibility rather than another marketing opportunity.

The class gave me a understanding of the possibilities of the SVD-186R gouge jig. I did not realize that the fingernail shape can be controlled by the amount of arc in swinging the blade. I have always thought the TTS-100 and SVD-186R are Tormek's most advanced, versatile combination. I now realize that it is even more versatile than I imagined. I look forward to studying it more intensely.

I appreciate that the comparison of the SVD-186 and SVD-186R was honest and made no attempt to up sell the newer model where it offered no practical benefit.

I especially like practical tips. Using the TTS-100 to scribe a pencil or marker line square on the grinding wheel is very useful with skews.

The online class did not answer my questions. It did increase my understanding and will be beneficial in generating future questions. It was well worth my time, and I will enjoy studying it several more times.

Ken

Ken S

At one hour and seven minutes, Wolfgang demonstrates a technique which would have saved me a lot of  time the first time I sharpened a skew. I mistakenly assumed the skew angle of the tool was 20º. and just started grinding without checking. Although I quickly realizd my error, I decided to continue. I wanted the tool to match the recommended Tormek settings. It matches now, but only after a LOT of grinding. Wolfgang demonstrated using the edge of the TTS-100 as a square to draw a square line on the grinding wheel. That would have shown the angle difference. I had often drawn square lines using the support bar as a straight edge. I will try both methods in the future.

In hindsight, I should have checked first, using a square line. At that point, I could have either set the skew angle to match the tool or set it a little closer to my desired 20º. Gradual compensation would have required much less time  during an individual session. Over several sharpenings, I would have reached my desired 20º skew angle.

Always check. Always think.

Ken