News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Alternative ACC-150

Started by Sharpco, November 06, 2020, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: ega on November 16, 2020, 03:22:58 PM
I noticed a new, slurping noise when first running my diamond wheel and, on dropping the trough at the end of the session, that a considerable quantity of water then runs out of the wheel (I assume it gets into the frame past the plastic end cover).

I noticed the same thing.

I did a bit of experimenting a while back on a piece of steel... one thing I found is the ACC appeared to protect the steel, even if the steel was wiped off and plain water was subsequently put on it.  So, if cost or how much you use is an issue, you might get away with only using it occasionally?  Can't say for sure (never tested the wheel itself), but it's possible... YMMV.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

ega

cbwx34:

Thank you for your interesting observation which engages areas of technology way beyond my knowledge. Rust seems to occur in unpredictable ways even though one knows it's just natural laws at work.

Incidentally, I tried the idea of filtering the used ACC to remove carbide and other foreign particles and found that it was a very lengthy process, presumably because the paper coffee filter I used became choked.

Josu V

Quote from: Sharpco on November 16, 2020, 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: Josu V on November 14, 2020, 06:46:35 PM
In these days,  I have been 1 year using Tormek DF-250 and Tormek DE-250 with tap water only; without ACC-150 or another corrosion inhibitor.
At least, for knives every day from Tuesday to Saturday.

Both wheels are in perfect state.

The only point to consider during the work with this wheels is to dry them just after use.
This is my experience.

Regards

That's great!

But someone fails to manage and rusts the wheels.

https://youtu.be/Tj1vhE7cDU0

Is very important to dry the wheel after use.

I keep the wheel in its original case,but in the bottom part i put various newspaper pages in order to absorb the water that is trapped inside the casing.
before this, I make some movements to expel the major part of this water.

Next day, I´ll take some photos of my two wheels.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum