News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

finally finished the clamp closing on both sides

Started by Hannsi1957, November 05, 2020, 05:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannsi1957

so, it is done. the clip closing on both sides is finished. The rubber inlay is changeable, so everybody can put in the rubber (harder or softer) he prefers. with the glued in rubber the knife holds well. finally the same angle from both sides, no matter how thick the knife is. knives up to 12mm thick can be clamped. my goal was to produce the clamp under 100.-€. this will not be possible in the long run because the whole thing is extremely complex in production and assembly. however, i will stand by my word and sell the clamp as a promo until the end of 2020 for 99.-€. after that the price will be 119.-€.

if i calculate that you need at least 3 machined clamps for the different knife thicknesses, from which you cut out some material in 0.5 mm steps from the fixed part of the tormek clamp, the price is relativised very quickly. especially since you still don't have exactly the same angle, but only approximately. :)

cheers Hanns

van

Good job! finally a clamp that should solve the age-old problem of edge symmetry.
Compliments. ::)
Kindly yours

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on November 05, 2020, 05:43:03 PM
so, it is done. the clip closing on both sides is finished. The rubber inlay is changeable, so everybody can put in the rubber (harder or softer) he prefers. with the glued in rubber the knife holds well. finally the same angle from both sides, no matter how thick the knife is. knives up to 12mm thick can be clamped. my goal was to produce the clamp under 100.-€. this will not be possible in the long run because the whole thing is extremely complex in production and assembly. however, i will stand by my word and sell the clamp as a promo until the end of 2020 for 99.-€. after that the price will be 119.-€.

if i calculate that you need at least 3 machined clamps for the different knife thicknesses, from which you cut out some material in 0.5 mm steps from the fixed part of the tormek clamp, the price is relativised very quickly. especially since you still don't have exactly the same angle, but only approximately. :)

cheers Hanns

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic about this one.  As I told you early on, the clamp has to adapt to knives that taper from spine to edge, (not to mention taper from heel to tip)... especially thicker knives that may have a significant taper (which is where a "self centering clamp" is most needed).  "Rubber inlay" alone, won't do the the trick, combined with the clamping force a single screw will provide?

Look no further than the clamps used on other sharpeners that use them, how they work and how some of them have progressed over time.

That being said... probably an improvement over the SVM... and I'm sure you'll sell a bunch!  Feel free to tell me if I missed something.... (anyone).... I want to like it!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hannsi1957

@cbwx34

i understand your skepticism, but it is unfounded. due to a special milling in the clamp, 3mm knives hold just as well as 8mm knives.
but you are right..... it took me 4 months and many failed attempts to solve the problem you described. time and reviews will show if i was right or if your skepticism is justified :)

cheers Hanns

Ken S

As much as I hate to agree with CB, I believe there is a place for doubt. Whenever I look out my kitchen window, I am convinced that the flat earthers got it right.

Joking aside, I applaud Hanns' effort to develop an improved knife jig. As is my custom, when one of our members devises an improved product for Tormekers, I like to purchase one. In this case, mine will be part of the second batch. Hanns has agreed to build mine with a longer threaded shaft. This will finally be a jig versatile enough to allow me to use a single setting (139 mm Projection) and a single Distance for all of my kitchen knives. While I can already do this with my present pre 2002 vintage SVM jigs, Hanns' jig will also be self centering.

Will this be the last word in knife jigs? Perhaps not. I don't consider the present generation of my kenjig the last word, either. I thought the SVD-185 gouge jig was stellar. I still do. I just think the present SVD-186R is more stellar.

If Hanns or someone else devises an improved version someday, I will probably purchase that, also. Innovation continues.

Ken

Hannsi1957

@Ken

i don't think you need a longer jig Ken but i will of course have one made for you that is 3 cm longer. we can do that without a grub screw with an o-ring. the picture shows 2 completely different knives, both adjusted to 140mm length. This works with the clamp. But as i said i can let you and others make a longer one.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on November 06, 2020, 04:45:14 PM
Whenever I look out my kitchen window, I am convinced that the flat earthers got it right.

We did.  ;)                  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

micha

.. and that's true bravery, as the only thing flat-earthers fear is sphere itself.   ;)

Ken S

Ken S

Hanns,

Early this year, just as the Covid shelter in place was happening, I planned to have my local machine shop turn and thread a new shaft for my SVM-45 and weld it onto my jig. Discovering the longer pre 2002 jigs made this unnecessary.

For some reason, I had not noticed the collar on your jig which makes your handle removable and therefore interchangeable. I am rethinking things. If the standard collar length will allow 140mm Projection with paring knives, I may not require a longer collar, especially if I could order a longer collar at a later date.

As a practical consideration, paring knives aren't thick enough to make self centering an issue.

I will change my order to one of the first batch standard jigs.

Ken

John_B

Ken,
Do you think Tormek might consider a run of the longer jigs? It would seem easy to do.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

I would be very surprised if Tormek offered a run of the longer jigs. The shorter design goes back to 2002. It also incorporates securing the adjustable stop with an O ring instead of a locking screw.

The interest in a longer threaded jig is limited to a very small number of users, primarily me. Tormek has never shown interest in my kenjig method of automating knife set up.

What I hope and believe we may see someday from Tormek is a more sophisticated, self centering jig.

Ken

Hannsi1957