News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rust?

Started by Paul.J, September 08, 2020, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.J

I noticed today when i turned my Supregrind 2000 around that there was rust on the steel casing by the water trough and the paint was bubbling and just broke off.
So i scraped the loose paint off but the rust seems to go behind the paint that is still pretty well adhered.
Is this common on the older Tormeks or even on the newer models.
I will treat the rusted areas and apply some paint, probably smoothrite?

Ken S

Paul,

Some Tormek improvements don't get much press. Yes, switching from regular steel shafts to stainless and eventually to the EZYlock got lots of press. Switching to a high tech rust resistant paint did not get much press.
To answer your question, frame rust was not unknown with the older Tormeks. I have not read any posts about newer Tormeks rusting.

I suspect your repainting will cure the problem.

Keep us posted.

Ken 

grepper

Speaking from frustrating experience, if you have rust under the paint, even if the paint seems well adhered, the rust oxidation process will continue and sooner or later the paint with underlying rust will flake off.  If/when that happens you'll have the same problem again, just in a slightly different area of the frame.

To do the job right, grind the paint away down to shiny metal until there is no visible rust and then repaint.

That said, just putting a good coat of paint over it could last for years.  I guess it just depends on how much work you want to do.

I have a whole-house stand by generator.  The floor of the cabinet under the battery rusted.  I removed the majority of the rust with a wire brush on a drill and gave it a good coat of Rust-Oleum.  Three years later the rust is back.

BTW.. Hi Ken. :)

Paul.J

Thanks for the replies :)
I will just treat the areas that are affected as the steel is still plenty strong enough.

Elden

There is a voice from the past! Hello Mark!
Elden

grepper

Hello back Elden!  Cool to see you still here.  8)