News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Christmas in September

Started by Ken S, September 07, 2020, 06:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Thanks, CB. I can load photos (finally), however, they are sometimes upside down. I think the problem is that my ipad case holds the ipad upside down for photos. Anyhow, with CB's help, I'm back on track.

Several months ago, my friend, Rupert, asked for my thoughts about homemade small platforms. Along with some emails, I gave him one of my small platforms. My platforms are functional, but nothing I would want to use for my journeyman's exam.

Rupert emailed me that Christmas would be arriving on Saturday. He was right. He sent me two very nicely made small platforms. On my recommendation, Rupert used the scissors jig platform as a basis instead of the Tormek platform jig. The third photo shows the difference in platforms made with the Tormek platform and the Tormek scissors jig.

The photo on the left shows the original design. The "diving board" is 47mm wide. It allows the full length of both sides of the knife to be sharpened without readjusting the platform. The diving board is 125mm long. This platform can be used either edge leading or edge trailing.,

The photo on the right shows Rupert's idea. I have been involved with the homemade small platforms since the early days, and Rupert's idea never occurred to me. Rupert's platform is 30mm wide by 200mm long. It works perfectly with the leather honing wheel, either directly or with an FVB.

Eventually I will try to include this in the long topic. As Rupert's design is new, I wanted to start this out in its own topic.

Ken