News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Stand for new T8

Started by Hinden, October 15, 2022, 06:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinden

I recently purchased a Tormek T8.    I decided to make a stand for it, see attached pictures.

I designed it around the size of the Tormek TS-740, so the Rubber Work Mat would fit on the top.    The overall dimensions are 28 5/8 high, 14 1/2 deep, and 22" wide, including ~3" casters.  The case is made from 3/4" baltic birch plywood.

Seems to work pretty well.    The only unfinished part is where to store the sharpening wheels.   I ordered some of the TS-740 mounts, I will see if I can adapt them to mount on the side of the cabinet, if not will return them.

I have a sketchup design that I would be happy to share.   Contact me directly if you are interested.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Hinden.

I like your stand. Baltic Birch plywood is great stuff and I especially like the Tormek rubber work mat.

The Tormek stone hooks work well with the Tormek chest. I don't think they would be an easy fit for your chest. I have several sets of heavy duty metal shelves. I fitted long hex bolts in some of the corner holes. I make a sandwich of two nuts, two fender washers, and a nylon spacer washer. The hex heads are ground round to fit the bore of the grinding wheels. With BBP, I would insert a tee nut from the inside and probably use a drop of liquid lock nut.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Hinden

Ken,

Quote from: Ken S on October 16, 2022, 01:13:40 PM
Welcome to the forum, Hinden.

I like your stand. Baltic Birch plywood is great stuff and I especially like the Tormek rubber work mat.

The Tormek stone hooks work well with the Tormek chest. I don't think they would be an easy fit for your chest. I have several sets of heavy duty metal shelves. I fitted long hex bolts in some of the corner holes. I make a sandwich of two nuts, two fender washers, and a nylon spacer washer. The hex heads are ground round to fit the bore of the grinding wheels. With BBP, I would insert a tee nut from the inside and probably use a drop of liquid lock nut.

Thanks!   I would appreciate it if you could send me (or post) a picture of what you did to mount the grinding wheels.

Bob

Ken S

Here is a photo: Front and back are a couple fender washers to provide stability and a nut. The nylon spacer insures good breathing space between the wheel and the metal shelf. The hex head is ground round to slip through the bore. These are heavy duty shelves.
Ken

Hinden

GeoBoy

How about using a Allen headed bolt, instead of grinding the hex head smooth?

Ken S

Good thought, GeoBoy! That had not occurred to me. This is another example of the team benefits of having a forum.

Ken

Hinden

I ended up using hex socket bolts and tee nuts.   See attached pictures, I did a test on a spare piece of BB plywood.

Bob

Ken S

GeoBoy