News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Presentation of a knife

Started by wallydouglas, August 25, 2020, 12:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallydouglas

Hi guys
Just after some ideas for presentation of a sharp knife back to my clients.
I've heard of one idea of dipping the blade into some wax but was wondering if anyone had any ideas or heard of the wax thing
Thanks in advance group

jeffs55

Put the blade in a protective sleeve with a band aid attached to the sleeve. Put a warning on the sleeve, "Incredibly sharp object, beware".
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: wallydouglas on August 25, 2020, 12:06:25 PM
Hi guys
Just after some ideas for presentation of a sharp knife back to my clients.
I've heard of one idea of dipping the blade into some wax but was wondering if anyone had any ideas or heard of the wax thing
Thanks in advance group

Never heard of wax.

A light coating of a food safe oil on a high carbon knife, + a knife sleeve (usually just on kitchen knives) works well for me.

Quote from: jeffs55 on August 25, 2020, 01:16:31 PM
Put the blade in a protective sleeve with a band aid attached to the sleeve. Put a warning on the sleeve, "Incredibly sharp object, beware".

I think a warning of some kind is actually appropriate.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

wallydouglas

Great thanks guys i like both of those ideas

Ken S

I have never been a fan of the Tormek marketing band aid program. I remember from my first aid training fifty years ago the incision cuts are generally the cleanest because the blood cleanses the wound.

My marketing suggestion would be "Tormek sharp wounds are less prone to infection". (For the record, although it seems logical, I don't think this phrase is such a good marketing strategy, either.

Ken

PS I think well made, heavy cardboard blade guards with the sharpener's business name and contact information. Charge the cost to your effective marketing/advertising budget. These safety sleeves have residual benefits.

bisonbladesharpening

I buy 18" lengths of cardboard sheeths from
USA Knifemakers and cut them to order.  They are preprinted
with warnings and available in various widths and pack sizes.
Best Wishes
Tim

BeSharp

I print and make my own modifying a template I found, IIRC, on Steve Bottorff's site, Sharpening Made Easy.  Started with file folders (a cheap source of 65 lb paper) but found the surface too rough for printing. Now using 67 lb "cover stock" from Staples. The colours let me quickly grab the right size.

Modifications include logo, email, phone number, BESS logo, and place to fill in a BESS number.

I considered using the Sharpening Supplies ones but shipping to Canada is $30 USD - that's almost $50 CAD!

Now I need to make a template for taller knives (the tallest one is 2" / 5cm) as Santoku-style kitchen knives are very popular these days.

bisonbladesharpening

Very Nice.  What kind of glue do you use?

bisonbladesharpening

I also have a question about the BESS logo.  I use a BESS PT50A
to verify sharpness of my edges.  Does that allow me to say that I am
BESS certified and use the logo, or do I need to license with BESS.
Thanks for any feedback
Tim

cbwx34

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on August 28, 2020, 07:26:35 PM
Thanks for any feedback
Tim

I think that's something you'd have to ask them.....  https://www.edgeonup.com
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BeSharp

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on August 28, 2020, 07:17:40 PM
Very Nice.  What kind of glue do you use?

Titebond 3, which is relatively water-resistant, and also considered food safe. I use a Babebot dripless glue dispenser, made by Fastcap: https://www.fastcap.com/product/glubot-family

Bought mine from Lee Valley Tools.

If anyone wants the file to modify for their own use send me a PM.

RickKrung

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on August 28, 2020, 07:26:35 PM
Thanks for any feedback
Tim

As CB says, check with EdgeOnUp.  However, I would think it does NOT mean you are "certified".  EOU has no way to determine that any user uses their equipment in a manner that is consistent or compliant.  And I have not heard or seen anything that suggests that they certify USERS.  AFAIK, the only thing certified is their test media.  I am unaware of any certification of their instruments and once purchased, no way for "recertification" with extended use. 

It probably is fair to say that you USE a certified tool to determine sharpness.  I would study all that Knife Grinders says about this sort of thing.  If anyone is certified, they would have to be, but they are way above most users as far as consistency and adherence to standardized practices and protocols.  If they do not claim to be certified, I doubt anyone else can. 

Another source of information might be the BESS Exchange.  It was created and is sponsored by EOU.  If there is a certification process, it would have to have been discussed there.  It is also a good source of additional information on sharpening, ofen delving much deeper into the finer details of sharpness. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Tim,

Check with edgeonup. (edgeonup.com). BESS is intellectual property. It is an internationally recognized measurement of knife sharpness. It should be used properly and legally. Mike Brubacher, inventor of BESS and the Edge on Up testers, is a long time friend and a good, helpful guy.

Incidentally, Knife Grinders is the official authorized BESS dealer for Australia.

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

Thank you all for your feedback.  I did find Info on the BESS forum.  They offer a Certificate of Membership
for sharpening businesses that use BESS equipment.
All I did was send to mikeb@edgeonup.com basic information about my business, and what BESS equipment I was using,
and where I purchased it.  Within a couple hours, Mike had sent me back a Certificate, along with copies of the BESS Certified logos
that I can use on my website and in any marketing materials. Any one using BESS should really take advantage of the legitimacy this adds to your operation, and at no charge.

Thank also for the info on the glue and the sleeves.  Don't know if i'm going to dive in yet.
Best Wishes,
Tim