News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek 2006

Started by Oceanrider, August 28, 2020, 05:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceanrider

Hello,
I have an opportunity to buy a Tormek 2006 that has, what I am told, practically no use.  The owner said he bought it then used it only one time to sharpen his chisel set.  It looks like it.
He boxed it back up in the original box and everything looks like new.  Original wheel measures 10".
What would be a good price an older practically unused 2006?  He says he would like $450. I've yet to throw out an offer to him, so maybe I could get it for less .  Would it be worth it to spend $300 more and get a new t-8?
Thanks for any thoughts on this. 

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Glen.

From your description, the 2006 seems like a very nice Tormek. However, I think the price is too high. With a new T8, the ironclad warranty was recently increased to eight years. Do not underestimate the value of a Tormek warranty.

Also, Tormek has made many substantial improvements in the last fourteen years. You could easily exceed the $300 cost difference just in upgrades. These are not just bells and whistles; they are genuine upgrades.

I am sure you could get very good service with this Tormek, especially with a few upgrades. I think $200 to $250 would be a more realistic price for it. I also know that the used Tormek market is very overpriced. The seller may be offended with such an offer, especially if he is unaware of the  hanges over the years. The seller may get his price on ebay. My advice for you at that price is to buy new, even if you have to wait to budget the extra cost.

Good luck and keep us posted

Ken

Oceanrider

Thanks Ken,
I just texted him with your suggested offer of $250 and was turned down. I figured the nearly new 10" and the two knife jigs, and the grading stone,  I think there might be one or two other jibs, I think he bought a additional kit that included the knife jigs, seems that  made it easily worth $250.  I might text him back with $300 since I can pick it up without shipping, but that would be it.  But without the warranty I think in the long haul that a new one would be the better choice.  So I'm going to save up a bit.

Ken S

Glen,
In my opinion, the problem with kits is that even if the jigs are still like new, after a few years, Tormek has redesigned and improved most of them. They still work as well as they ever did, however, the newer jigs usually work better. That's the unintentional problem with using new items to establish a value for older items. It is not quite comparing apples with apples.

Ken

cbwx34

I'll offer an alternative view.  A new stone is about $190... so basically you're saying everything else that comes with it is worth only $60?  Seems a bit too low to me.

And while it's true that some jigs have improved, others may have changed, but in use, there's little difference.  (I'd argue the knife jigs were actually a step backwards).  So each needs to be evaluated.

The only real upgrade you'd need, would probably be a new Truing Tool... most other "upgrades" don't make the knives/tools any sharper...

As for warranty... I wouldn't base a lot on that... just like an extended warranty it's money that seldom gets used.

Bear in mind that a Tormek with jigs quickly goes up in price, for example a "bundle" with just the knife and scissor jigs is north of $900, not the $750 being used here for comparison.

Not saying you should buy it... but perhaps get a list of what you're actually getting, and do a more realistic comparison... and include what you actually need or would get with a new machine.  Not all "upgrades" have to be purchased for the Tormek to do its job.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

GeoBoy

CB, is right. Who here would sell their barely used T7 with jigs for less than $450.00?

Ken S

One of the advantages of a forum is considering different points of view. CB and Geoboy make good points, however, I think there is more involved.

Starting with the truing tool. The latest 2019 version of the TT-50 truing tool really is a substantial improvement over the 2006 vintage tool. It costs around a hundred dollars (US). (If you purchase the TT-50U version without the diamond cluster, you can save some money by reusing your diamond cluster.) However, to really benefit from the new truing tool, you really need the latest US-105 universal support with the threaded microadjust, another $60. I consider these two essential. The rest of the list I would consider to be varying degrees of nice to have.

The water trough on the T8 does more that go up and down. The round bottom design is not only easier to clean, it makes much more efficient use of ACC with the diamond wheels. Five milliliters with the T8 does the same job that requires nine milliliters with the T7 or SuperGrind.

The future seems to be moving toward multiple grinding wheels. That does not mean that all users will go multi wheel, and the regular right hand thread shaft can handle multiple wheels. The EZYlock just makes easier.

The zinc drive wheel on the T8 is more durable than than the older plastic model. The new (patented) rubber substance is also improved.

The machined zinc top of the T8, according to Tormek, is 300% more accurate than the earlier houding.

The T8 housing is more rust resistant than the earlier painted housing.

Warranty? Repairs on a Tormek are rare. I have read about very few motor problems. However, a new replacement motor costs over $300 parts only. Thoughts like this make me think well of the warranty.

Your seller can probably get his asking price in today's used Tormek market. My question is: does the price for a used T2006 warrant foregoing the benefits of a new unit?

Food for thought.......

Ken

cbwx34

True... and some of that is what you're paying the $400+ more for... to have the latest and greatest.

But some of what you mentioned doesn't need to be replaced... and your "cost analysis" makes those parts that still work nearly valueless.  For example...

The old water trough gets the stone wet, and will do the job.

If you're thinking of swapping wheels, definitely factor in the EZlock.  If not, the old shaft, if in good condition will work.

The old drive wheel does the job... it is worth noting to take a look at it.

Are your knives/tools 300% sharper?

Regular maintenance prevents rust.

And the warranty, as you say is rarely used... so is it worth the increase in price?  (Also, how many have burned out a motor?)

It's why I said price it out realistically... and see if its worth the extra cost... and what your wants/needs are.  And again, the cost of the included jigs should be included.  For example....

If I'm buying this used machine for occasional home sharpening, with no aspirations of swapping wheels, starting a business, etc.... paying $350 or so for a machine with jigs I'd use, would be a good value, and I'd probably end up with a machine that'll last a lifetime.  Even adding a TT-50, I'd save several hundred dollars.

If I'm buying a machine with the goal of starting a business, then the cost of replacing the drive wheel ($98.50), adding an EZLock ($63.00), new TT-50 ($93.00)+ $350 = $604.50, then the extra $200 or so (don't forget the jigs cost) toward a new machine, might be worth the difference of getting a new machine, with the better parts and parts I can't upgrade, and the added peace of a warranty.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Glen,

You are facing a choice similar to deciding between a new car and a good, low mileage used car. There is no wrong answer. Five or ten years from now, when you are happily and skillfully sharpening, a hundred dollars more or less won't make any difference. Either way, you will have a Tormek.

Enjoy and don't overanalyze.

Keep us posted.

Ken