News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Support for BGM100 and/or XB100

Started by BradGE, August 15, 2020, 10:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGE

Hi All,

I have an BGM100 mounted for use on my grinder but initially it sat a bit too low and so is set on a block of wood. Unfortunately the wood seems to flex a bit which spoils precision and gives away some of the advantage of having the BGM.  Are there any pre-fab solid blocks available for boosting the height of the BGM, or does it need some DIY engineering?  It would be useful to have such a thing for the XB100 as well, to use for paper wheel honing...

Thanks in advance.

B

justonething

As shown attached. I also mounted my BGM on a block of Oregon scrap about 38mm thick. The block was fastened to the board with 4 screws from underneath. It was probably glued with polyurethane glue (I don't remember anymore). You can glue two pieces of 20mm plywoods together and use it as your block. You can minimise any flexing together by having your base board wide enough and thick enough and then glue that block on fastening the block with 4 screws.
If you can attach some photo to show flexing of the BGM, it would help us to have a clearer understanding of your problem.

justonething

RickKrung

Quote from: justonething on August 16, 2020, 12:46:15 PM
As shown attached. I also mounted my BGM on a block of Oregon scrap about 38mm thick. ...snip...

If you can attach some photo to show flexing of the BGM, it would help us to have a clearer understanding of your problem.

B -  What is "Oregon scrap"?  That block looks like Douglas fir.  If one is going to use wood and make it as solid as possible, laminates of Baltic birch plywood - glued together with a bona fide construction adhesive, even Titebond II or III - or a nice piece of "Oregon maple", which is really just western maple - really any sort of strong hardwood, would by preferable. 

I do not care for the stamped metal, adjustable plates that come with the BGM, so didn't use them.  I mounted the XVM USB plates to blocks of Douglas fir 4x4s, secured with long screws (didn't even follow my own advice above).  I also mounted them for use with Frontal Vertical Bases (FVB).  I would not want to be without the FVB in this application.  A single plane of adjustment is just not enough, in my opinion. 

As B suggested, some photos of your setup would help trouble shoot.  I never felt there was any instability as a result of using Doug fir, so I suspect some other element of your setup. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

justonething

Timber from Douglas Fir is commonly known as Oregon in Australia/NZ :).

BradGE

Hi All,

Thank you for the replies and I'm glad it can work with wood - I was thinking metal would be necessary.  The wood I've used is probably just too soft as it's just a scrap of pressure-treated 2x4 that I happened to have already cut at the right size.  I can't seem to load a photo of my setup as the file size is too large...