News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Angle question

Started by bgtklbx, August 09, 2020, 11:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgtklbx

I sharpened a Henderer folder that had the original edge that measured 27 degrees on my laser protractor. I sharpened it at this angle using my normal system which will usually end up around 150-200 BESS no problem. It started a dull over 500, but the best I could get it was around 250. It's ok, but not great. BUT I usually use 18-20.  Is this a normal thing for that angle?
The reason I stayed with the original 27 dps is I didn't want to grind a larger bevel, for appearance reasons.

cbwx34

Quote from: bgtklbx on August 09, 2020, 11:46:29 PM
I sharpened a Henderer folder that had the original edge that measured 27 degrees on my laser protractor. I sharpened it at this angle using my normal system which will usually end up around 150-200 BESS no problem. It started a dull over 500, but the best I could get it was around 250. It's ok, but not great. BUT I usually use 18-20.  Is this a normal thing for that angle?
The reason I stayed with the original 27 dps is I didn't want to grind a larger bevel, for appearance reasons.

Not a BESS user, so I'll just pass this along...

http://www.bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=493

... but at that angle... don't expect that knife to perform well... even if you get it "shaving sharp".   :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

bgtklbx

Thanks...that answered my question.

Hannsi1957

i think u hav`nt debur good enough. do a few passes over a stroping leather and u will come down to 150 easy. a 27 degree u get realy sharp also, depends on deburing i think.

bgtklbx

Turns out i did not get the edged apexed in the beginning. I started over and got below 200 easily