News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

More newbie questions

Started by MrSwede, June 24, 2020, 07:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSwede

Hola muchachos.

I got my T8 couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with it. I have managed to sharpen a chisel to shaving-sharp, pretty pleased with my self as it is the first thing I ever sharpend on a Tormek. Now I started with knifes and I quickly realized that's a whole other ballgame. So, now I need some help from the experts with some questions.
-What does your solution for measuring the projection look like?
-In Tormeks video "live sharpening part 1" they clamp the knife along the heel-point-line but I have seen many clamp parallel to the edge. Does it really matter as long as I do it the same way every time?
-Is it possible to use Wootz's angel calculator on the leatherwheel?
-If so, where is the reference point to measure from?

I hope you can understand my dyslex... dislix... dyslebian English

Cheers, Hans

cbwx34

Quote from: MrSwede on June 24, 2020, 07:30:00 PM
Hola muchachos.

I got my T8 couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with it. I have managed to sharpen a chisel to shaving-sharp, pretty pleased with my self as it is the first thing I ever sharpend on a Tormek. Now I started with knifes and I quickly realized that's a whole other ballgame. So, now I need some help from the experts with some questions.
-What does your solution for measuring the projection look like?
-In Tormeks video "live sharpening part 1" they clamp the knife along the heel-point-line but I have seen many clamp parallel to the edge. Does it really matter as long as I do it the same way every time?
-Is it possible to use Wootz's angel calculator on the leatherwheel?
-If so, where is the reference point to measure from?

I hope you can understand my dyslex... dislix... dyslebian English

Cheers, Hans

My solution is a simple metric ruler.  There is a device here...

https://www.ultimateangletool.com/listing/762938563/multi-tool-angle-measuring-gauge-jig

... and info here...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4170.0

... that works well.  It not only helps measure the Projection Distance and Wheel Diameter, it also sets the USB height.  It's used with a calculator that measures directly to the wheel, like this one...

https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/

I don't agree with setting the angle with the "heel-point-line" (that was actually started with another type of sharpener).  It sorta works, but works by coincidence.  So I'd look at your second option.  Biggest thing to learn is the distance from the curved belly to tip area, is what keeps the bevel consistent.

Wootz has a separate calculator for the  front vertical base, (FVB) and measuring to the leather wheel, but it only works with his FVB.  If you're using a different FVB, or just using the horizontal position to hone on the leather wheel, you can use the same calculator linked above.

Hope that helps!  :)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

MrSwede

Doh!! I just bought a new 300 mm caliper.....
It looks like a good piece of equipment that I'll surely will buy.

Thanks for the response cbwx34, those are good advices.

John_B

I picked this up at our local Harbor Freight store; it works great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-heavy-duty-combination-square-67771.html

For wheel diameter I measure the circumference with a cloth tape and divide the value by 3.14.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

MrSwede

Hello again. I just have to say that this forum is a pot of gold of knowledge for someone like me who is new to the Tormek system, many thanks to all that post their experience.

I'm looking for some fluorocarbon fishingline to use as an indicator for a wire edge. I read in a post that 0.21 mm/7 lbs is equal to the original Bess-line. I gotten hold of a line, 0,36 mm/16lb. Can I use that line to collapse the wire edge and then use my USB-microscope to look for a dent in the edge or is it to thick/hard? I'm not gonna use it to measure the edge, just find out if there is a wire edge.

Cheers, Hans

Hannsi1957

@ MrSwede
the easy way to find out if u have a wire edge is to cut cigarett paper. only lower bess than 100 can do a pushcut at cigg paper. and if u have under 100 bess u have nomore wire edge :)

cheers Hanns

MrSwede

Thanks Hanns. I usually check my knife with the "Filetto de carta per fotocopiatrice" test. If the knife fillets the paper I'm happy. But I will get some cigarette paper and test knifes.