News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Cabinet Scrapers

Started by Segovia123, August 09, 2020, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segovia123

I struggle to get a good edge on my cabinet scrapers, will I be able to put a bur on my scrapers with the T4?

micha

Hi John,
if we're talking about the same type of 'blade-only' cabinet scrapers, I'm afraid you can't use the Tormek for the burr.
Usually the scrapers' old burr is removed by grinding, and a new burr is raised with a solid piece of steel, round or triangular. (I think it's called a burnisher.)
So I'd say you could use the Tormek to prepare the scraper, but not for raising a new burr. Yet I don't know if that would be better than using a file.

If I misunderstood the term, just forget the above :)

Mike

justonething

Burrs on scrapers are indeed done by turning the edge over with a burnisher made from a material that is significantly harder than the scrapers themselves. The edge is usually ground straight and flat, before applying the burnisherhttps://paulsellers.com/2015/02/scraper-burnishers-that-work/ to turn the edge over in a couple of steps, first to turn it a few degrees.  Tormek can be used to prepare the edge, instead of using a file. If you still can't get a good burr, you could try grinding the edge for a 45-degree bevel before burnishing it.

Segovia123

Quote from: micha on August 09, 2020, 11:46:22 PM
Hi John,
if we're talking about the same type of 'blade-only' cabinet scrapers, I'm afraid you can't use the Tormek for the burr.
Usually the scrapers' old burr is removed by grinding, and a new burr is raised with a solid piece of steel, round or triangular. (I think it's called a burnisher.)
So I'd say you could use the Tormek to prepare the scraper, but not for raising a new burr. Yet I don't know if that would be better than using a file.

If I misunderstood the term, just forget the above :)

Mike

I should have said "good edge" before putting a bur with the burnisher. 

micha

OK. I thought I saw a possible setup for the intended purpose here in the forum, but can't find it now.
This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyp_sxp3OmE shows that setup around 1:16, using the side of the stone.

That works great. I sometimes use the Tormek for squaring the edges, but still carry a file with the (straight) blades and the burnisher. The first method requires a Tormek :) , the latter a bench or vise and some scrapwood to fix the blade, which is helpful for burnishing, anyway.