News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ten inch (250mm) chef knife

Started by Ken S, August 04, 2020, 04:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Until quite recently, the longest knives I used and sharpened were my thirty year old eight inch Henckels. I was curious about the ten inch chef's knife, however the price of the ten inch Henckel knife discouraged me. I had recently purchased several Victorinox kitchen knives and have been pleased with them. I like not having to contend with a bolster. The thinner blade cuts well. I like the feel of the fibrox handles and the more affordable prices.

I was curious to know if my T4 could sharpen and hone the longer knife. I learned that the T4 is indeed up to the job, both with sharpening and honing. I used the longer US-430 support bar. I also replaced the plastic knob locking screws with socket (grub) screws (one on the jig and two on the sleeves). I ground off a small amount of metal on the jig for clearance.

In use, I have been pleasantly surprised by the longer knife. I find myself using it at least as much as my smaller eight inch knife.

Ken

Solan

Thank you! I was looking for a post like this, since the reason I am looking to buy a Tormek is primarily to sharpen my kitchen knives. I have some very nice ones from Hattori. Both full size and small ones. That, plus sharpening a straightedge razor.

Any further tips will be welcome, of course, as I have yet not bought the Tormek, but have asked a shop to bring in a T4, since this seems to fit with my amateur status yet high demands for performance. Wondering whether to get that Japanese wheel, though. It seems tempting because of the Japanese knives.

John_B

Solan, welcome to the forum. If you sharpen your Hattori knives be sure and note how they are sharpened. Many Japanese knives are single bevel and the process is a little different.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Solan

Quote from: john.jcb on November 16, 2020, 02:49:55 PM
Solan, welcome to the forum. If you sharpen your Hattori knives be sure and note how they are sharpened. Many Japanese knives are single bevel and the process is a little different.

Thank you, John! The knives are double bevel and, as I understand it, make use of that very sharp angle that many japanese knives use. 11˚ to each side, for a total of 22˚.  I have hitherto sharpened them on whetstones of increasing fineness, but I am not very good at keeping a constant angle, so I think machine will be better. But a good machine! I have one already, but frankly the result disappointed compared to the whetstones. I expect better from the Tormek, though, (of course modulo my own proficiency).

I guess my first job will be to figure out which jig I need for those knives and for the straightedge.

bisonbladesharpening

I sharpen for many professional working chefs.  Usually their pro set is Victorinox or Forschner or other light weight
quality stamped blade on a good handle.  Many forged blades are too heavy to use all day for a pro.  Once you get comfortable with a 10 inch the 8 inch looks small.
All depends on the end use.
Best wishes to all, be safe out there, Tim

Ken S

Interesting reply, Tim.

For almost thirty years, I used my eight inch Henckel chef's knife. I originally bought the ten inch Victorinox knife to see if I could sharpen and hone it with my T4. (It works fine, using a US-430 and socket set screws.) To my surprise, it has become my most used knife, even though many of the jobs could be done with a much shorter knife.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

For experimentation Ken, may I suggest Update International knives.  Basically a lower priced Victorinox.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

John_B

Quote from: james90 on May 08, 2021, 10:07:15 AM
I have been using a Japanese knife for eight years.  This is a very good and sharp knife.  Its blade is also thin. So its sharpness is also great. I have used many other types of knives but no one has satisfied me. My friend was told me about Japanese knives.  If you want to know about it, you can read his articles and blog. You will be amazed by his work.

Can you share a link?
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

tgbto

That sounds like yet another fake review blog set up to grind commissions from Amazon...