News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

AngleJig

Started by jvh, July 26, 2020, 07:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: jvh on October 20, 2020, 03:15:12 PM
Quote from: Dutchman on October 20, 2020, 10:32:47 AM
Quote from: jvh on October 19, 2020, 09:00:45 PM
Moreover you can print these setting, use it for current session and keep it to next one (useful for diamond and CBN wheels).
I did it for you. In my tables  ;)

I don't think so. I cannot find/load knife related data in your tables. Where is last grinded angle, protrusion, clamping, used jig, procedure etc.?  ;)

Yeah... it's a bit of an "apples to oranges" comparison.  Both have their place... but a different purpose.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

We are looking for a one size fits all for a multifaceted problem. What might be an ideal solution for very high end sharpening would be impractical for garden variety sharpening. I do not feel that one technique is inheritently superior, nor do I feel that the methods are mutually exclusive.

Frankly, I am impressed with jvh's angle jig idea. I am impressed enough to have started research and price the Bosch tool. I may eventually invest in one; however, at this point, my sharpening budget has enough other priorities to make $200 US for the Bosch tool and inclinometer impractical for my needs.

As noted, the kenjig has some limitations. I do not find that any of these limitations exceed my needs. I work simply. A Projection of 139mm and bevel angles of 15 degrees per side are almost universal for me. Distance changes due changing wear diameter are becoming increasingly more rare. Diameter of any of the Tormek honing wheels has always been constant. Increasingly, we are using diamond of CBN grinding wheels with constant diameters. Even felt or paper wheels are either constant diameter or change very slowly.
For most of us, even the SG or SB wheels change diameter very slowly.

All of these factors do not negate the importance of our calculated setting programs. I find them useful in initial set up. I do not see much need for them in my everyday sharpening needs. I acknowledge that some user's needs may be more stringent than mine. I also believe that the needs of the typical Tormek user are no more demanding than mine. For many years, my printed out copy of Dutchman's original grinding angle booklet post and kenjigs have served me well.

I do not mean to disparage those providing more advanced research. I believe in the maxim that a rising tide floats all boats. We are certainly all benefitting from these sharpening innovations.

Ken

jvh

Ken,

no problem with that, well argumented as usual. If it fulfil your needs and you are satisfied with outputs there is no reason for changes.

If you want to try angle jig you need inclinometer only. Don't buy Bosch GAM because it is angle meter and it has limited usage. I used it just for checking t angle and it collide with table, water trough etc. I have it primarily for woodworking...

jvh

Ken S

Thanks, JVH.

I will look into getting an inclinometer. Beall Tools is located near my grandchildren's school.

Ken

Ken S

JVH,

I sent you a PM.

Ken

Tukkis

I want to pump this post up, how is this setup working and has it developed any?

When switching to honing wheel can i get a same accurate angle easily with digital angle guide?

-Tukkis

cbwx34

Quote from: Tukkis on October 09, 2022, 01:49:09 PM
I want to pump this post up, how is this setup working and has it developed any?

When switching to honing wheel can i get a same accurate angle easily with digital angle guide?

-Tukkis

While I liked the concept, I have to admit that I never used it beyond initial testing.

You might also look at the information and spreadsheet in this thread...  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4885

3D Anvil

I haven't tried this method, but posting to point out that there are many cheaper alternatives to the Bosch angle finder that are probably more than accurate enough for this.  They can be found on Amazon for $16-22.

SergeiDubovsky

Please pardon me if it's a stupid question - is the change in a protrusion length of a jig+blade changes the edge angle?

cbwx34

Quote from: SergeiDubovsky on October 31, 2022, 07:20:02 PM
Please pardon me if it's a stupid question - is the change in a protrusion length of a jig+blade changes the edge angle?

The angle used for the Angle Cube is set with the same parameters as any other method (Projection Length, Sharpening Angle, etc.), so I guess the answer is Yes, but it is accounted for.  (The length of the platform you set that Angle Cube on doesn't matter, as long as it's >= the Projection length.)

SergeiDubovsky

I got it. I was thinking about this wrong way. The angle is used to set the USB height. The knife jig have nothing to do with it.

Clever.

QuoteArriving Wednesday
BOSCH 4-in-1 Digital Angle Finder GAM 220 MF
;D

jvh

Quote from: SergeiDubovsky on October 31, 2022, 07:20:02 PM

Hello,

yes, changing the protrusion length also changes the edge angle, it is always necessary to specify the correct protrusion length for the calculation.

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 31, 2022, 07:46:17 PM
The angle used for the Angle Cube is set with the same parameters as any other method (Projection Length, Sharpening Angle, etc.), so I guess the answer is Yes, but it is accounted for.  (The length of the platform you set that Angle Cube on doesn't matter, as long as it's >= the Projection length.)

A small correction, just to be sure - the platform you set the Angle Cube on must be placed over the USB and the highest point on the stone (= must be long enough).

jvh