News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Paper wheel

Started by bgtklbx, July 26, 2020, 05:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgtklbx

After grinding and setting my bevel on my T8 I debur on these 10 inch wheels. I use diamond paste at 10 micron and the other at 5 micron. My question is roughly how often should I add some diamond paste. Originally I dabbed a little on every spot between the slots. Also, should I ever clean them or just keep them loaded this way.

bgtklbx

BradGE

Side note as I can't answer the question, but I'd really like a paper wheel setup like that but can't find any slow/medium speed grinders in the UK...  If anyone knows a source apart from $150 shipping charges from US I'd be grateful...  B

bgtklbx

One option is buy a full rpm model, turn it on, then turn it off. It takes a long time for my half speed to slow down. Easily enough time to do a pass on each side.

Ken S

I will preface this by stating that I do not have paper wheels. That stated, I believe the recommendation for high speed with paper wheels is to melt the wax used with carborundum grains. I do not think that speed derived melting heat is necessary with diamonds. Therefore, I would suggest looking into using your Tormek instead of purchasing an extra grinder or buffer. The paper wheel could be mounted onto your Tormek either instead of your grinding wheel or with the shaft extension normally used with the leather profile discs. Either way would be a "quick change".

If desired, a speed increaser, recently discussed on this forum, would increase the speed of your Tormek by 40%.

I would try this before purchasing a separate grinder for your paper wheel. If you like the results, you have a working set up for the price of a paper wheel. If after trying this, you decide you want either a second Tormek of a higher speed grinder, the same paper wheel will work with either. Incidentally, a ten inch dry (paper or felt) wheel will work with a T4.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Ken

PaGorg

Quote from: BradGE on July 26, 2020, 10:42:54 PM
Side note as I can't answer the question, but I'd really like a paper wheel setup like that but can't find any slow/medium speed grinders in the UK...  If anyone knows a source apart from $150 shipping charges from US I'd be grateful...  B

Look for the Drechselmeister slow speed bench grinder (DML-200N). They sell it around Europe, however not widely available. It is sold both with and without a CBN wheel. Look for the one without, since you're going to use it with paper wheels anyway. It has a 16mm bore (5/8 inch).
There is also a version with dual speed (1480/2850 rpm), called Drechselmeister DUO 200.

Be aware that it's delivered with 40mm thick grinding wheels, so if you use 10 by 1 inch paper wheels, you have to use a spacer between the flange and the nut. I use a couple of washers for now.
I've just started using mine, but it seems to be well built.

https://dehoutdraaierij.nl/en/shop/grinding/grinding-machine-with-cbn-wheel-copy/
https://www.drechselbedarf-schulte.de/drechselwerkzeuge/schaerfsysteme/ks-dml-200n-doppelschleifer/3993/ks-dml-200n-doppelschleifer-langsamlaeufer-200-x-40-mm
https://www.woodcarvingtools.org/sharpening/slow-speed-bench-grinders/1625/drechselmeister-slow-speed-bench-grinder
https://www.willyvanhoutte.com/EN/products/bench-grinders/2831

Axminster also sells a slow speed grinder, but it has 18mm bore.

micha

Dictum sells one, too:

https://www.dictum.com/en/schaerfmaschine-zubehoer/dictum-low-speed-grinder-ds-150-l-720782

Didn't know about the Drechselmeister. Thanks for that.
Never understood why slow speed grinders are so difficult to find around Europe.

Al

I follow the procedures of Knife Grinders (Australia)

For new paper wheels I apply the diamond paste after ever 5-10 knives used on the wheels but first I apply a thin layer of chainsaw oil to help bind the diamond to the wheels. I apply the chainsaw oil once to the virgin wheels

I do this for the first 3 months then after that I re apply the diamonds after I've done around 50 knives

After a few hundred knives the wheels will get a good build of diamonds

Vadim suggests a bit of parraffin Oil if the blades are starting to look a bit warn before you reach the 50
mark
Always apply the diamond paste at the end of the day so it can settle in overnight

Always keep the slots clean, this will help cool the wheels, I use a piece of dental floss, works a treat, just don't use the same piece on your teeth....🔪

kwakster

For the people interested, in 2015 i started a thread on the Australian Blade Forums about sharpening with Paper Wheels:

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/sharpening/24087-paper-wheel-edges.html

BeSharp

Quote from: BradGE on July 26, 2020, 10:42:54 PM

Same problem in Canada. I got, I believe, the last low-speed buffer in Canada from Princess Auto. They are now out of stock. Rikon makes a low-speed buffer but no Canadian Rikon dealer sells them. I tried oredering one from the US but US Rikon dealers are only allowed to ship to the US.

I finally have a Rikon on the way - an open box unit from the US (open box, so legally not "brand new" anymore 😀).

BeSharp

Quote from: Al on August 26, 2020, 09:42:30 AM
...first I apply a thin layer of chainsaw oil to help bind the diamond to the wheels. I apply the chainsaw oil once to the virgin wheels
Vadim suggests a bit of parraffin Oil if the blades are starting to look a bit warn before you reach the 50
mark

I wonder if we can use the oil that comes with the Tormek leather wheel? The one in the white tube?

RickKrung

Quote from: BeSharp on August 29, 2020, 03:45:08 PM
Quote from: Al on August 26, 2020, 09:42:30 AM
...first I apply a thin layer of chainsaw oil to help bind the diamond to the wheels. I apply the chainsaw oil once to the virgin wheels
mark

I wonder if we can use the oil that comes with the Tormek leather wheel? The one in the white tube?

I doubt it.  I believe that oil is not thick or "sticky" enough.  The two are serving different functions.  The leather wheel oil is to condition - soften - the leather.  The paper wheel oil is to create a sticky layer to improve adhesion for the diamonds.  If adhesion is part of the purpose of the leather wheel oil, I think it makes a difference, with the stickiness needed for the high revolutions of the paper wheels requiring the high adhesion of the much thicker oil.  The leather wheel is barely turning, in comparison to paper wheels.

When I was messing with paper wheels, I was annoyed that I had to buy a whole quart of chain saw oil because I really only needed just a little.  But it is cheap enough to not be a huge burden. But, depending on where you live, it might be hard to find.   

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.