News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek, sharpening turning tools

Started by Tianaz, July 21, 2020, 05:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tianaz

I have used a Tormek for restoring and sharpening old planes and chisels for several years.   I am now learning how to sharpen turning tools on it.  On page 62 of the instructions for the SVD-185, it suggests documenting on short strips of paper attached to the tool the three numbers needed to maintain exactly the same shape.

The angle – a=

The jig setting – JS =

The protrusion – P =

I understand the concept, and the details, but am wondering if anyone has already written down what those numbers are for the Sorby turning tools.  It would certainly save me, and anyone else, a boatload of time and mistakes if I can find such.

Any ideas?  Who should I contact?  Etc.?

Thanks

Ken S

Tianez,

I can share a partial recommendation. I would be surprised if Sorby offers that information, as they sell their own sharpener. Perhaps other members may know other sources for Sorby/Tormek specific information. However, Nick Agar has recently made a series of you tubes showing sharpening turning tools with the Tormek.

Glenn Lucas has a very well done sharpening DVD. This includes, but is not limited to the Tormek. His website also lists a chart for sharpening his line of turning tools with the Tormek.

The Turner's Information Box is an excellent Tormek specific DVD by Jeff Farris and booklet by Torgny Jansson. I recommend it highly.

Ken

AKMike

Tianez -

Along with Ken, I doubt that there is a chart of Sorby grind settings.

Unless they are selling an endorsed tool, the manufacturers put general purpose profiles on their products. Each woodturner develops their own preferences for their tools, and they develop these preferences by trying different grinds. Through my woodturning club, I've been lucky to take classes with many world-class turners, including Nick Agar, Glenn Lucas, and Jimmy Clewes. They all prefer different profiles on their bowl and spindle gouges. Tormek consulted with many turners to come up with a chart of suggested profiles (page 78 of the latest downloadable handbook). You can try the suggested grinds to find some you like or you can use the marker method to find the profiles that match your Sorby tools.

Mike

Ken S

Mike, I'm glad you chimed in. I am a beginning turner at best. I think the Tormek Special Recipe Labels are a clever memory aid and not expensive. Here is a link:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/pl01-set-of-recipe-labels

Many of the turning tools do not require much finesse to set up. Tools like cut off tools and skews are straight forward.
A beginning turner can go far with a half inch spindle gouge and a half inch bowl gouge. I'll post basic settings for them tomorrow.

Ken

RichColvin

Angus,

I generally use Sorby turning tools, and have documented the information I believe you are seeking on the Sharpening Handbook.  It is available as an online tool for free at http://sharpeninghandbook.info/.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S