News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Honeing without polishing.

Started by bgtklbx, July 17, 2020, 07:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgtklbx

I use a T8 and the standard Tormek stone to grind and set the edge. I then debur on paper wheels with diamond paste. I get great results as shown on my BESS readings. However, the bevel is mirror polished and sometimes due to the blade finish I would prefer as little shine as possible. Any ideas on de burring without polishing the edge to a fine mirror finish ?  Or maybe remove the shine without dulling the edge?

cbwx34

Quote from: bgtklbx on July 17, 2020, 07:44:11 PM
I use a T8 and the standard Tormek stone to grind and set the edge. I then debur on paper wheels with diamond paste. I get great results as shown on my BESS readings. However, the bevel is mirror polished and sometimes due to the blade finish I would prefer as little shine as possible. Any ideas on de burring without polishing the edge to a fine mirror finish ?  Or maybe remove the shine without dulling the edge?

You could try deburring at a higher angle, using a couple of light alternating passes to remove the burr, without polishing the entire bevel.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Hannsi1957

I deburr on a rockhard feltwheel with 1-2 degrees more then i grind. I do that after my 1000 CBN wheel. After that a few strokes on the lether in my grindig angle and all fine.
If this is to fine 4 me i do that after my 400 cbn, mostly at cheaper knifes, this i dont grind finer as 400.
My paperwheels with 5 micron and 0,5 micron i use only at realy high end knifes.
Cheers Hanns