News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

iOS Calculator Options for Setting the Sharpening Angle on Knives...

Started by cbwx34, July 05, 2020, 05:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Since calculators have now diverged... figured I'd repost some of my iOS calculators, that I've made and used.  They've been updated a bit... now you can either use the "USB to Wheel" measurement, or if you want to measure to the casing, FVB, etc., that is available in the app as "USB to Casing"... the calculators allow you to enter your own horizontal and vertical measurements, making it "less restricted".  So, for example, it can be used if you build your own FVB, or use a different machine.  (If you don't know what this means, stick to the "USB to Wheel"... then the h and v measurements are not relevant).  Some suggested measurements are given in the app.

An Angle Calculator to set the USB height, that works in the Apple Numbers app...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o43tsfj1kwzemu9/USB%20Angle%20Calc-Universal%20%28Public1.1%29.numbers?dl=0

(To install click "Direct Download"  then "Copy to Numbers").

An Angle Calculator to set the USB height, that works in the GoCalc app...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2hah4c1krrlvgv/GoCalc2in1Calculator.xml?dl=0

(To install click "Download" save the file TO A SEPARATE COMPUTER or DEVICE, then follow the instructions in the GoCalc app to "Import Calculations"... do not "Restore Backup").  You can't (from what I can tell), download the file to the device that has the GoCalc app on it... it installs the calculators via WiFi.  (This will actually install 2 calculators).

GoCalc app can be purchased thru the Apple Store (I have no affiliation)...

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/go-calc/id286287080

Just be advised... they don't come with any instructions... up to you to figure out how to install and use them... properly.  ;)

Added 3/8/21Here's a link to an Excel Spreadsheet, that will import into Google Sheets...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eci3vysc61by04h/Knife%20Angle%20Calculator%20%28Public%29.xlsx?dl=0

(Figured I'd add it since technically it will run in Google Sheets on iOS too...). ;) 

(I actually posted this before, here's a bit more info... https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4455.msg31776#msg31776 )

Added 11/22/21:  Links to "OpenAngleTool" created by Tormek forum member "freejack"

Open Angle Tool forum thread
    Open Angle Tool Calculator

This calculator works as a web app, and on both iOS and Android, can be saved to the homescreen and run as an app.  It gives answers for both "Measuring to the Wheel" and "Measuring to the Machine", so can be used on any Tormek model, as well as similar type sharpeners.

All based on Dutchman's fine work!

Enjoy!   :)

Note:  I won't update this post any more... any new information can be found at the website link in my signature. :)

Edit 7/29/20: Uploaded new files with minor format changes... (no change in results). ;)
Edit 8/6/20:  Uploaded new Numbers file with minor format changes... (no changes in results). ;)
Edit 3/8/21:  Added Excel Spreadsheet (that can also run in Google Sheets).
Edit 11/22/21:  Added Link to forum member freejack's calculator
Edit 4/25/22:  Updated Links
Edit 5/16/22:  Added note
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Jan

CB,

If I may put my 0.02$ in, the displayed USB Top to Wheel Distance is by 0.02 mm smaller than the exact value.  ;)

It is of course fully negligible. The reason for it may be some rounding or number representation.

Jan

cbwx34

Quote from: Jan on July 06, 2020, 11:09:11 AM
...the displayed USB Top to Wheel Distance is by 0.02 mm smaller than the exact value.  ;)

I fixed it...   :D  :D  :D

Jan

cbwx34

If you're an Apple Numbers user... here's what I call a "Visual Angle Calculator" for setting the USB height for knife sharpening, (same calculator, different perspective... maybe gives an idea of what's going on?) :) ...

... can be downloaded here:  Visual Angle Calculator

Edit 4/25/22:  Updated the link

cbwx34

Hannsi1957

i putt ur Data in my App and what comes out???

please don't get me wrong but that's exactly what I'm trying to explain to you but I've fallen on deaf ears so far :) if I want to use ur calculator I first have to take a course to understand everything. it could all be so simple :). so again you can shoot at sparrows with cannons or why simple if u can make it complicated. keep it simple is the goal. as you see on the result it really works.
with mine one sentence is enough to explain the whole thing i do not need a drawing and not almost a whole page to explain it :)

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 05, 2020, 11:17:13 PM
i putt ur Data in my App and what comes out???

please don't get me wrong but that's exactly what I'm trying to explain to you but I've fallen on deaf ears so far :) if I want to use ur calculator I first have to take a course to understand everything. it could all be so simple :). so again you can shoot at sparrows with cannons or why simple if u can make it complicated. keep it simple is the goal. as you see on the result it really works.
with mine one sentence is enough to explain the whole thing i do not need a drawing and not almost a whole page to explain it :)

It's the same thing... just in picture form.  ;)   

Go hide the video you made on how to use your software... then see how many understand how to use it.   ;D

Hannsi1957

why i post this????
the only reason..... and i think i understand a bit off this stuff

if i watch ur Picture i get confused :)

but i know u do a lot of work with it and i respect that a lot.
cheers Hanns

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 05, 2020, 11:43:22 PM
why i post this????
the only reason..... and i think i understand a bit off this stuff

if i watch ur Picture i get confused :)

but i know u do a lot of work with it and i respect that a lot.
cheers Hanns

Ah I understand now.... yeah I can't argue that.  It does look like a mess without having some idea of what's going on.

I think of this as more of a "visual guide" to how it works, if that makes sense.  In reality, it probably does need a bit of explaining.  It wouldn't take much, but you're right, at first glance it does look confusing.

Thanks!

p.s.  Keep in mind... I still have the "simpler" options available... ;)  (I think you called them "ugly"). :D

Hannsi1957

yes my dear i stick to it.....looks ugly and untidy :)
but, and you shouldn't ignore that.....it costs nothing :)

cheers Hanns

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 06, 2020, 09:57:45 AM
yes my dear i stick to it.....looks ugly and untidy :)
but, and you shouldn't ignore that.....it costs nothing :)

cheers Hanns

Yours needed a bit of work... I fixed it for you.  ;)   :D

(Translation of "USB to machine" and "USB to wheel" provided by Google Translate... no idea if it's right.)   :o

Hannsi1957

cbwx34

Quote from: Hannsi1957 on August 06, 2020, 07:44:32 PM
I will check.
But why needed :) the final result is the same

Many use the "USB to Wheel" measurement, for example those who use this Angle Tool... and they can't use the "USB to Machine" measurement.

It can also be used if you don't have the Horizontal and Vertical measurements available, or to check the accuracy, etc.