News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Copy Cats

Started by Ed Lowrie, August 24, 2006, 04:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Lowrie

Hey Guys

There is a "copy Cat" out there see page 101 of Fine WoodWorking #186.

Did Jet just copy the Tormek or have they bought some rights to the patent?

This thing looks just like the Tormek. They say they have improved the design!

Seems to me that we have been on the right track with our Tormek, people only copy what works.

Jeff these guys are a threat what are we going to do?

Ed

Jeff Farris

The TORMEK patents have expired.  Whether or not you think what Jet has done is ethical, it is, unfortunately, legal.

However, we can enjoy the fact that they have done a very poor job of copying the TORMEK.  There are distinct and verifiiable faults in the drive system and frame design of the Jet.  Those will be quantified and fully revealed by TORMEK in the following weeks.

Mimicry is the most sincere form of flattery.
Jeff Farris

lpenney

The one good thing that could come from the JET copy is some additions from Tormek.  I like the tool drawer that JET offers.  Also the tool rest extension looks interesting.  Tormek may realize they must continue to innovate to stay on top.  That ultimately benefits the Tormek users.

Jeff Farris

TORMEK has never NOT innovated.  They have brought out new improvements or new accessories to the system almost every year since the machine was introduced in Europe almost 25 years ago. They don't need a copy cat to spur them to action.

As for the drawer base, consider this.  Do you really want to add another 10 or 15 pounds to the machine when you have to turn it around once or twice for every tool you sharpen?  I don't.

The tool rest extension will only work in certain circumstances.  If the support needs to be close to the stone, the extension will hit the base. On the unit we have tested, adding the extension altered the spacing of the bars so that they would no longer fit into the base easily.
Jeff Farris