News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My first success

Started by bgtklbx, May 28, 2020, 04:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgtklbx

After about 6 months of practice and study and watching the knife grinders videos of how not to do it and reading the " Burr book" I finally got a really good edge. It's around 220 on my BESS tester. (started at a dull 600) But most important for me is the dimensions are perfect and it looks like the factory edge except much sharper. This is a semi custom Hinderer folder with 01 tool steel blade. Here are my takeaways. I used a T4 and I spent a lot of time getting it to the correct working height for me. I started on a too tall bench, then I tried a lower one. Finally I ordered a steel work table and got the perfect height. Then I used my wicked edge to determine original angle with a sharpie marker. Then I took my time. Results were perfect for me. Plenty sharp and looks new.

RickKrung

Nice.  Welcome to the forum.  Don't take it too seriously and enjoy it. 

It would be interesting to hear about some of your failures.  I did not follow the sage advice given by the "old-timers" to practice first on knives that were not important to me and I butchered the blade on my Wave Leatherman tool.  One commenter asked: "How did you even do that...?"  I couldn't tell him because I didn't yet know enough.  That was before the extensive discussion of lifting versus pivoting and I did not know that blades with a curved tip need to be lifted in order to maintain the angle and bevel width.  If you've watched KG's videos, you already know about the importance of lifting.  If you don't, you need to find out. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

Welcome to the forum. I think the only thing I did right when I first started was to learn on old knives. Luckily I had quite a few that were saved and others that were in my camping box.
Pay attention to blade maintenance and you will significantly prolong the life of the edge.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

OrangeBeachReb

Quote from: john.jcb on May 28, 2020, 01:16:38 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think the only thing I did right when I first started was to learn on old knives. Luckily I had quite a few that were saved and others that were in my camping box.
Pay attention to blade maintenance and you will significantly prolong the life of the edge.
When you say to pay attention to "blade maintenance" are you referring to honing, etc?

John_B

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 07, 2020, 07:10:59 PM
Quote from: john.jcb on May 28, 2020, 01:16:38 PM
When you say to pay attention to "blade maintenance" are you referring to honing, etc?

Several things, first honing is important for edge retention. I use a smooth and grooved steel along with 2 ceramic rods that range from 1000-3000 grit. Try to not the scrape your cutting surface with the edge. Wash by hand and dry immediately. I also have one knife that I will use to cut bones. Mostly common sense stuff. I am amazed though how many customers have not heard of any of these. I see far too many with chipped blades and scales destroyed by the dishwasher.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease