News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife Sharpening - Blade Angle Database

Started by OrangeBeachReb, June 07, 2020, 06:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 09, 2020, 06:40:38 PM
Interesting, and thank you, but Good Lord... as I'm reading about tools to help sharpen knives with advanced math just to get the angle, it looks daunting.  I'm amazed that the machine, as shipped, does not allow you to set the correct angle.  However, the Tormek videos on YouTube (which I've watched all of them) makes it look easy to set your angle on your knife.  Is there a disconnect or does Tormek conveniently ignore this major flaw?

First, don't be intimidated by the math behind the calculator.... the calculator does the work. ;)  Several of the calculators on the page linked in my signature will do the job... you just have to make some simple measurements. 

My opinion on the other part is well documented...  ::)  I think Tormek ignores it.  It has been brought up time and again, the most recent here: 
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4236.0
... and they have excuses, etc. and insist that it will work.  If someone there can explain to me how the AngleMaster accurately sets the angle when placed against an angled surface that most knives have... I'd be happy to see it.  The AngleMaster is designed to sit against a flat surface (the back of a chisel probably)... how many knives have that shape?  On kitchen knives, the error is not that great... but on most pocket/EDC/hunting knives/etc. it can be several degrees per side.  Tormeks usual answer is, if it doesn't work just use a Sharpie... but that neither tells you what the angle is, or sets it if you want a specific angle.

Don't know why they do it... it would be such an easy problem to address. They wouldn't even have to go to "calculators", you can, for example measure the angle of bevel the Anglemaster would rest on, and adjust it that way.

Quote from: john.jcb on June 09, 2020, 07:21:21 PM
I would not consider it a flaw on Tormek's part. Tormek machines have been available for many years in a variety of models. The latest for general use are the T-4 and T-8. In the Tormek timeline the use of math to determine sharpening angles is relatively new. It came out of a desire to achieve sharpness that can be compared to razor blades. These results are obtainable by carefully controlling the angle when sharpening and honing. Additional honing techniques using non Tormek wheels and materials have also been developed towards this end. I would venture that in the Tormek world less than 1% of the users employ these techniques for knives. Using the techniques shown in the Tormek videos you can achieve sharpness better than most knives out of the box. I suggest that you learn to do this before venturing into the ultra sharp arena. The techniques you learn doing this will be usable down the road. Also most sharpeners only want to sharpen a knife at its existing angle. For this the marker method works best and it is often demonstrated by Tormek. If you are a knife maker or want to reprofile a knife some reason the software comes inhandy.

I don't think of calculators as a way to "razor blade" sharpness... I see it simply as a way to accurately and more consistently set the angle (and by accurate, I'm not referring to being in the decimals... but not several degrees off).  You can achieve sharpness without knowing the angle...

Just this a.m. there was a post in another forum where the user sharpened a knife at what he thought was a certain angle, and the bevel came out way more acute then he anticipated.  Bet money he followed Tormek instructions, and set the angle using their method.  The calculator simply corrects the deficiency of their process.  My .02. :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

I have found the only way I can achieve razor sharpness is to accurately set the sharpening angle, sharpen and then hone at 1.5 degrees greater. This is for regular steels. I was never able to achieve this sharpness without the calculator using the conventional method although I am sure it is possible. Knife forums and here are unique in that the person cares about the angle. I am of the opinion that the marker method works well to replicate the existing angle to factory specs. I have never had a customer ask me to grind a knife at a specific angle. I doubt they would even know what their knife was out of the box.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: john.jcb on June 09, 2020, 08:52:53 PM
I have found the only way I can achieve razor sharpness is to accurately set the sharpening angle, sharpen and then hone at 1.5 degrees greater. This is for regular steels. I was never able to achieve this sharpness without the calculator using the conventional method although I am sure it is possible. Knife forums and here are unique in that the person cares about the angle. I am of the opinion that the marker method works well to replicate the existing angle to factory specs. I have never had a customer ask me to grind a knife at a specific angle. I doubt they would even know what their knife was out of the box.

I'm not saying that increased accuracy doesn't create a sharper edge... but that's not what the original intent was.  It was, to quote the thread title... "Simple adjustment of the grinding angle".

Customer requests isn't a valid sample... if they know about angles, they're probably sharpening their own knives. ;)  Also, many "factory specs" and what the knife is actually sharpened at... can differ quite a bit (not to mention knives that have been incorrectly sharpened, not sharpened in years, etc. rendering the "Sharpie method" all but useless).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

OrangeBeachReb

So, to be clear from what I just read, the razor sharp one will last longer?

John_B

Quote from: OrangeBeachReb on June 09, 2020, 11:44:27 PM
So, to be clear from what I just read, the razor sharp one will last longer?

That is true as long as it is not nicked or chipped by something.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease