News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife protection in knife jig

Started by JeffPPrice, May 22, 2020, 05:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffPPrice

I'm new to Tormek but a collector of fine knives. I've seen in some tutorials that there is a black protective covering between the jig and the knife blade, which seems safe and reasonable, especially if the knife is worth more than a T-8. Looks like it's a thin black rubber square, but I have not seen it offered anywhere. Does anyone know what it is and how to get or make one? I sure don't want to scratch a good blade, and I don't want to loosen the jig's hold on the knife.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

Brian Pratt makes the protective covering you are looking for. I purchased a set of two from him, one for the SVM-45 and one for the SVM-140. I like them. Brian is a Tormek user and knife sharpener.

His company is Bootheel Customs in Missouri. His contact email is prattswelding@yahoo.com.

Ken

RichColvin

Has anyone tried using plumbing gasket material like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-6-in-Rubber-Washer/1082955 ?  It is cheap, easily available, and can be cut to size.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Interesting idea, Rich.

Brian used to sell on ebay. (Listed under "tormek"). When I purchased the adhesive pads, they were $7.99 US. He stopped listing on ebay because of the fees.

Ken

RickKrung

Paper tape. 

I think this was first mentioned by Knife Grinders, but I do not know if they still use it.  I think it was said it can serve as shims for centering some knives. 

I have some but don't use it because I haven't noticed scratching of blades that I've sharpened, so do not find the need to "protect" them. 

What I have is "itape".  Just a bit wider than the knife jig.  The web site looks targeted at distributors rather than retail as there are no links or listing of prices, etc. like one finds on most.  Not even a "where to buy" link that I could find. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.