News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Updated (5th Edition) Knifegrinders Deburring Book

Started by BeSharp, May 21, 2020, 04:02:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeSharp

Looks like Wootz (Vadim) has updated his Deburring Book to the 5th Edition:

http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop.htm

RickKrung

Any indication/information on what has been updated in the book? 

It is a great resource and I follow a version of his deburring process, but what I do is not in his book.  It would be good to know what is new and worth it before shelling out again/more for it.  There is nothing in the description on KG's web site that I saw.

Is he offering free upgrades to those who purchased the earlier version?  Didn't see that either. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

I remember he included a signed printed copy with my FVB order and I was able to download the 4th edition in PDF format.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Respectfully, John, that does not answer my questions.  I repeat, what is new and different that makes it worth paying again for the 5th edition:

Quote from: RickKrung on May 21, 2020, 02:27:58 PM

It is a great resource and I follow a version of his deburring process, but what I do is not in his book.  It would be good to know what is new and worth it before shelling out again/more for it.  There is nothing in the description on KG's web site that I saw.

Is he offering free upgrades to those who purchased the earlier version?  Didn't see that either. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

cbwx34

Last time he updated, he provided a copy if you had bought an earlier copy and emailed him... not sure if he still will do that.  (He doesn't seem to answer emails much anymore).  Hoping he'll do this (and also send out the PIN update to his FVB that he changed)...  ???

He did put out a video... in the first few seconds he shows what is new, in the index anyway... (if you blink you'll miss it).

https://youtu.be/TLfDeE7JRAA

p.s. from what I can tell the Kindle version is still older... so wouldn't go that route.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

John_B

It looks like he expands on the myths that were debunked in his previous work and has added sharpening protocols for commonly used knife steels.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Rick,
I agree, it would be nice if Wootz' book had a page stating what was new in the various editions. A good suggestion for future editions. The Tormek handbook has that.

Some books, like Machinery's Handbook, change very little over the years. (Mine is the 1940 Edition, and serves my needs.) Wootz' sharpening research continues to advance. I think it pays to have the latest edition. I have read it, however, my reading time recently has been very start and stop. I have not found the uninterrupted quiet time it requires and deserves.

The PDF price on the Knife Grinders website is $9.80 AUD. That's $6.40 US, not a lot to shell out.

Ken

RickKrung

Perhaps not a shell out, but it would be nice to know.  I don't think it is too much to ask to get the updated version if you've purchased the prior edition. 

Sorta, kinda hate to do this, but... Machinery's Handbook runs in my family. It has changed very little over the years in some ways and a lot in others, mostly as advances were made.  It is amazing how much of what we do, largely and routinely that has not changed. 

I have three copies that I can put my hands on tonight.  I thought I had four, but cannot find that one right now. 

1) First Edition, 1914.  My Grandfather's.  Still in the cardboard box with cardboard insert that it came in.  Bears the 1913 Christmas present inscription from his mother and sister.
2) Eleventh Edition, 1941. My Father's.  Resides in his Gerstner toolbox, on my machining workbench. 
3) MIA. My younger Brother's
4) Twenty Fifth Edition, 1996.  My copy, larger format, doesn't fit in our Gerstner toolboxes any more. 

I cherish the first two. 

Rick

Ken S

Rick, what treasures! I see why you treasure them.

I have a longtime interest in precision tools, going back decades when I inherited some machinist tools used by a machinist born in 1863. Most people are unaware that today's relatively low cost, very technical society we enjoy is largely due to the precision tool technology of the latter half of the nineteenth century and early twentieth century. The standardization and precision of that era allowed us to have truly interchangeable parts. I do not believe we would have our present computer era without the early machine shop era.

I have an irrational hope that some of the expertise of former owners of my tools might rub off on me.

Enjoy your treasures!

Ken

ps You should email Wootz. I don't think he ignores emails. I believe his worthy projects have become more time intensive that he realized. (Perhaps like so many small businesses he needs a secretary.)

BeSharp

Quote from: RickKrung on May 21, 2020, 03:57:33 PM
Respectfully, John, that does not answer my questions.  I repeat, what is new and different that makes it worth paying again for the 5th edition:

Quote from: RickKrung on May 21, 2020, 02:27:58 PM

Rick

I bought the 5th Edition. Appendix II is "Sharpening Protocols for Common Knife Steels". It lists protocols (and "BESS readings from real sharpening sessions") for 48 kinds of steels, subdivided into four groups: Lower-end Knives, Mainstream Knives, Quality Knives, and Wear-resistant Knives.

Some of the protocols are only three steps. Others take seven. In short, Wootz is giving out a lot of his time and research for less than the price of two Starbuck lattes.

Personally I think he's way underpriced the 5th Edition. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

wootz

Thank you mate.
People have been asking for sample sharpening protocols, many offered an extra pay for them. These protocols come from years of my sharpening business. I started with higher-end "supersteel" knives, i.e. those that require special pricey equipment to sharpen, then added mainstream and knife rental. It has been a very interesting journey full of the "aha" moments. The knife edge is a fascinating mystery.

A good portion of the book can be previewed in Google Books >>

Video: https://youtu.be/TLfDeE7JRAA
Testimonials: http://knifegrinders.com.au/Book_Testimonials.htm

John_B

Are the initial sharpening angles the optimum for the given steel?

Did the SHun steel not react well to smaller angles?
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

petermik

Hi wootz,

I purchased your e-book - and it is truly excellent.

One question though: you mention on page 27 that since the manufacturers of diamond paste rate them at the average diamond size, you use 0.25 micron paste to get to 0.5 micron effect. On page 23, you mention that you have settled on 1-micron diamonds as the optimum for de-rooting the burrs. Is that then diamond paste labelled 1 micron (which presumably has a small fraction of 2 micron diamonds) or do you use 0.5 micron paste to achieve that?

With your comments on page 27 the whole diamond paste terminology gets a bit confusing - or am I just misunderstanding something?

peter

Ken S

Peter,

When our longtime member, Wootz (Vadim of Knife Grinders) started selling CBN wheels, he made the decision to discontinue posting on the forum to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest. This was entirely his decision, with no suggestion or encouragement from me. While I respect his choice, I miss having my friend post. His research has contributed greatly to this forum and to knife sharpening.

The best way to contact him is via email to his website. While knife sharpening has been around since before we left the cave, Vadim's cutting edge research is ongoing. I like to keep current on his research. I will use edition five until he releases edition six eventually. In my opinion, the digital edition price is a very inexpensive way to both keep current and support valuable research.

Ken

petermik

Thanks so much for the heads-up Ken. I will try Vadim on his direct email as you suggest.
Very best, peter