News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

when it rains, it pours.....

Started by Ken S, May 12, 2020, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

As many of you may know, I have been hoping for more instructional videos from Tormek for many years. My requests have finally been answered.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TormekSharpening/videos

Ken

chino

RickKrung

That is quite the pile of videos.  Where have they been hiding all this time? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick, Good question. Please keep in mind that this reply is strictly my opinion. I have no official knowledge from Tormek.

This pile of videos have not been hiding; they did not exist. The knowledge and experience has developed over the years. It has mostly remained at the factory. Tormek has not kept it secret; they just have not shared it on a large scale basis. Support will gladly share parts of it on an individual basis.

The marketing emphasis of the woodworking/sharpening/knife industry centers around large shows. Unless one happens to live in one of these places, we are off the knowledge grid. Even those fortunate enough to live in an area with an annual show, only have access to this knowledge one weekend a year.

Until the present pandemic, Tormek has generally been content to rely on social media sound bites and a few well done videos featuring the SuperGrind. Present travel restrictions have caused the shows to be cancelled. I think switching to online classes at this time was a very sound management decision. It is long overdue. I hope it will continue.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on May 14, 2020, 02:45:41 PM
...snip...
This pile of videos have not been hiding; they did not exist. ...snip...

That was sort of an implied dig...  :o

Nice that they are now.  Is it just me or did I notice a heavy emphasis on woodturning tools? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

John_B

I think there is a real opportunity to reach a lot more people this way.
I would like to see the videos posted on Facebook and Instagram as well as here. Each has an audience.

I also hope the shows where Tormek will have a presence will be posted as well. When it is safe again I would not mind doing some traveling to attend them.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on May 14, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
Is it just me or did I notice a heavy emphasis on woodturning tools? 

Rick

From the description on the first one....

QuoteIn this series of 8 episodes, Nick Agar, professional woodturner, will show you the special sharpening techniques for all the common woodturning tools. This includes what jigs you should use, how to create different shapes, best practice on sharpening, what grinding wheels you should have as a woodturner, tips, tricks and much more.

;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: RickKrung on May 14, 2020, 02:59:43 PM
...snip...
This pile of videos have not been hiding; they did not exist. ...snip...

That was sort of an implied dig...  :o

Nice that they are now.  Is it just me or did I notice a heavy emphasis on woodturning tools? 

Rick

Rick,
I think we should see these videos in context with the online classes. the first four online classes, which are very in depth, have addressed other kinds of tools. The class this morning indicated that the fifth class will focus on turning tools. They also mentioned an upcoming more advanced class in knife sharpening.
I have welcomed and benefitted from all of these classes.

I do not believe Tormek has had a turner on its full time staff since Jeff Farris left. I am pleased that Tormek seems to be featuring both Nick Agar and Glenn Lucas.

Up until the latest group of videos, I have felt that the only subjects covered in depth were Alan Holtham's outstanding DBS-22 video and Jeff Farris' almost twenty year old turning DVD. I am most pleased to see Tormek finally starting to close up the video gap.

Hogdog6

I know I'm somewhat repeating myself here.
These videos are fantastic for Tormek as they train the proper techniques the owners get more comfortable and confident with the use of their machines. I've had my 2000 for years and had an on again off again experience with it. The members of this forum have taught me a lot, and these videos are enhancing my knowledge. Satisfied owners are very likely no longer frustrated / discouraged with the results they're getting. Therefore the best advertising you can ever ask for, "positive word of mouth". Thanks Tormek keep them coming they just make an excellent product that much better.

MikeK

Rick, Good question. Please keep in mind that this reply is strictly my opinion. I have no official knowledge from Tormek.

This pile of videos have not been hiding; they did not exist. The knowledge and experience has developed over the years. It has mostly remained at the factory. Tormek has not kept it secret; they just have not shared it on a large scale basis. Support will gladly share parts of it on an individual basis.

The marketing emphasis of the woodworking/sharpening/knife industry centers around large shows. Unless one happens to live in one of these places, we are off the knowledge grid. Even those fortunate enough to live in an area with an annual show, only have access to this knowledge one weekend a year.

Until the present pandemic, Tormek has generally been content to rely on social media sound bites and a few well done videos featuring the SuperGrind. Present travel restrictions have caused the shows to be cancelled. I think switching to online classes at this time was a very sound management decision. It is long overdue. I hope it will continue.

Ken

Are you talking about the most recent nine videos or the entire channel?  I've been a subscriber to the Tormek channel ever since I bought my T8 last year.

Ken S

Good question, Mike.

The recent crop of Tormek videos are, in my opinion, different than most of the offerings in the last fifteen years. The focus is different. Most of these videos are very short and designed to showcase a jig or accessory for marketing. Many of them are language neutral, having only music instead of spoken words.

Look at the DBS-22 on the Tormek site. It has two videos. The shorter video is actually one of Tormek's better videos. It was made after the other video by Alan Holtham. Alan's video (done for Tormek) is around fifteen minutes. It is outstanding, one of Tormek's finest videos. I watch it again justbefore every session of using my DBS-22. I suspect that Tormek made the shorter video in the belief that Alan's video was above the interest level and concentration limit of its audience. To be fair, the shorter video serves as a good introduction for anyone considering the purchase of the DBS-22. For anyone actually using the jig, Alan's video is the hands down winner.

Except for Alan's videos and the turning tool DVD done years ago by Jeff Farris for Tormek, the present crop of videos is the first video offering from Tormek which seems directed toward users rather than potential buyers. Most of us have outgrown the short marketing videos.

I hope this trend will continue.