News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Accessory Prices

Started by Tool Junkie, May 17, 2020, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tool Junkie

I'm a newer user, having gotten a T-8 during their 'Wheel for Life' promo. I have been buying accessories and recently got an MB-100, which was priced at around $98. However, the prices have dropped down to around $80. For the long time users, do the prices with Tormek generally drop from an introductory price and then down over time? For example, Milwaukee's trim router was around $200 at introduction and now it's closer to $150 (6 months later).

I was looking at getting the US-430, which is about $100, but it doesn't seem to be much more material than the US-105, which is $47. Do you think it will drop in price? I read somewhere else to make sure that I got one if possible, as they were only a 'limited run', which also doesn't make sense as they would be great for longer blades.

Ken S

Tool Junkie, this is puzzling. I checked several dealers that I trust.The current price does seem to be $79US for the MB-100. I recall the price being higher before, although I have never known Tormek to reduce prices. Usually for a promotion, Tormek will include a jig or accessory rather than dropping the price.

You are correct that there is not much more material in the US-430 than in the US-105. However, the amount of material involved is a negligible  component of the price. The US-105 is a large production item. It is included with every T8. The US-430, which evolved from the US-400, was originally part of the long out of production T-4000, an ancestor of the T2. When the very small remaining supply of the US-400 dried up and demand continued, Tormek made a small run of the US-400, which quickly sold out. A customer suggested to Tormek that the US-400 would be a more useful tool if the two vertical arms were lengthened, making it useful for sharpening cleavers. The 50mm increased length of the vertical arms is the only difference between the US-400 and the US-430.

You probably read my advice not to wait with either model if you are interested. The US-400 is long sold out. I have no idea how much longer the US-430 will be available. If you don't mind gambling, you may be able to get one later. Your choice.I would be very surprised if the price dropped. Any small production item will have a higher unit cost than a large production item. Milwaukee Tools are part of a different company and their pricing policies are unrelated to Tormek.

Ken

John_B

Te second round of USB-430 support bars has been out for several months. The first batch sold out rather quickly. I would hazard a guess that most everyone that wanted one has got it. I think it may be some time bfore another run of them.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease