News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TT-50 question

Started by Ken S, May 13, 2020, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have seen several sources recommending grinding a small radius into the corners of the conventional grinding wheels (SG and SJ) with the stone grader. Although I have not personally experienced problems with the corners digging in, this seems like a logical precaution.

I have also read reports about users chipping their (conventional) grinding wheels during truing. This seems to occur from the diamond running off the edge. The cure, as demonstrated by Nick Agar, seems to be lifting the diamond just before reaching the edge and finishing by moving from the outside inward. Again, this seems like a logical precaution.

Wouldn't it make sense to create the radiused corners before truing? That would eliminate the sharp corners for the diamond to fall off of and possibly chip the wheel.

Thoughts?

Ken

van

I have never had problems with the edges of the stones.
But since I have sharpened blades with curved parts near the handle and since I saw the video I practice rounding the edges and I feel very comfortable. Losing a few tenths of a millimeter to the right and left I don't think it's a big problem in sharpening.
Kindly yours

Ken S