News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Laser Goniometer - Need Replacement

Started by RickKrung, May 12, 2020, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

My CATRA died.  The "stock" batteries that came with it corroded and I cannot get the deepest one out.  Probably doesn't matter, the barrel and contacts are probably ruined.  If I still had a CATRA with the original batteries, I would definitely be replacing them with some higher quality batteries, like Duracell. 

I need a replacement.  I know the CATRAs are still available, but spendy (~$150).  I've looked at the VETAKO "Master", which had a brief appearance here a while back.  Less to comparable costs, from around $128-$163 USD shipped. 

I would like to hear from anyone who has one of the VETAKO units.  Their web site appears to show that they ship internationally.  How well do they work.  How have they held up?  How long did it take to receive it?  Etc. 

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

jvh

Hello,

I have their Laser Goniometer PRO+ more than a year, no problem yet. It seems that it has much better subdivision than Catra (at least from what I've seen in the photos and videos).
I bought it here in Czech republic, but I'm sure that they ship internationally. If I remember well Van has their Laser Gonimeter Master, hope he will share his experience with purchasing and delivery.

Bad thing is that Vetako has no user manual (at least one year ago).

jvh

RickKrung

Thanks. 

Do you have any notion of what the difference is between the Pro+ Master+ and Master models?  I could not find anything on their website that revealed a difference, other than price. 

I jus looked at my CATRA scale.  Graduations and subdivisions look the same.  Distance between 10º major increments is about 15.5mm.  In your photo, it looks like that distance might be larger. 

Rick

Edited to correct which models I am referring to.
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

jvh

Quote from: RickKrung on May 12, 2020, 07:23:51 PM
Do you have any notion of what the difference is between the Pro+ and Master models?  I could not find anything on their website that revealed a difference, other than price.

Strange, I see description and video if I click on model...

See here (Goniometer PRO+) - measuring range up to 60 degrees (total angle), blade width up to 85 mm.

and here (Goniometer MASTER) - with magnetic holder for the knife, measuring range up to 90 degrees (total angle), blade width up to 55 mm.

I jus looked at my CATRA scale.  Graduations and subdivisions look the same.  Distance between 10º major increments is about 15.5mm.  In your photo, it looks like that distance might be larger. 

I will measure distance between 10º major increments for Goniometer PRO+ tomorrow.

It seems that Goniometer PRO has a little wider subdivision than Goniometer MASTER (due bigger radius).

jvh

RickKrung

I looked again.  My mistake.  I was looking at the Master vs Master+ (not the Pro+), but I did type Pro+.  I've edited my post to correct this. 

Dunno, images I've see show the Pro with less than 180º wheras the Master has 180º frame.

Rick

van

Hello,
I bought the Vetako for a month and I find it of excellent workmanship. I took the "Master" without a case, at the time the briefcase was not available, I hope they can send it to me as soon as possible. Surely the Master is more innovative than the Pro having the magnets to hold the blade steady and a spoke centering device. Certainly very convenient for detections. In my humble only negative opinion is too much sensitivity in the movement of the graduated scale, it is easy to inadvertently deserve it off center. At present it does not have a dedicated manual, a real shame, I had to use that of the Catra and the immeasurable help of JVH to interpret the various signals that laser light can provide you. I highly recommend it. My study continues. I think they do international shipments even if the times are long. I understand that it is a small factory, you should send an email to: info@vetako.cz they respond quickly.
Keep us informed.
Regards
Kindly yours

jvh

Quote from: RickKrung on May 12, 2020, 09:05:50 PM
I looked again.  My mistake.  I was looking at the Master vs Master+ (not the Pro+), but I did type Pro+.  I've edited my post to correct this. 
Rick

It looks that only difference between Master vs Master+ is the case. Better ask support.

Quote from: RickKrung
Dunno, images I've see show the Pro with less than 180º wheras the Master has 180º frame.

Pro scale has really 60° only - see photo...

Quote from: van
Hello,
I bought the Vetako for a month and I find it of excellent workmanship...

Hello van,

please can you measure distance between 10º major increments on Master model (for a comparison of scale subdivision)?

jvh

van

If I understand the question well: the distance, measured with the gauge, from 10 ° to 20 ° is 19 mm
Kindly yours

jvh

Summary for the distance between 10º major increments:

Catra (Hobbigoni?): 15,5 mm
Vetako Goniometer PRO: 29 mm
Vetako Goniometer Master: 19 mm

jvh

RickKrung

Quote from: jvh on May 13, 2020, 09:11:59 AM
Summary for the distance between 10º major increments:

Catra (Hobbigoni?): 15,5 mm
Vetako Goniometer PRO: 29 mm
Vetako Goniometer Master: 19 mm

jvh

That is interesting. 

The wider separation of the PRO seems very attractive because it would seem one could get a better, possibly more accurate measurement of the angle on blade.  I'm not sure how much that really matters as these are not precision angle measuring devices.  The two models can both measure up to 90º included angle, 45º each side of a double bevel blade.  The PRO can accept wider blade, by 30mm - 55mm for the MASTER and 85mm for the PRO.  My Catra can only go up to 44mm.  The PRO+ comes in a case and includes a 30x25 loupe, the latter which could be pretty handy.  The Master has the "hands free" magnetic blade holder and the centering adjuster. 

For me, the magnetic holder and centering adjusters do not seem necessary.  I have run into limitations on blade width with my Catra, so the wider capacity of the PRO is quite attractive.  The loupe, at 30 power could be very useful, being about mid-way between the 10x hand loupes I have and the 60x Dyna king hand microscopes that I find so useful. 

Unfortunately the PRO+ appears to be on backorder.  I've PM'd Vetako for more information on the wait time.  If it isn't unreasonable, I may be ordering the PRO+.

Rick

van

Yes, the "Pro +" has been unavailable for about three months, while the "Pro" is available. I don't know this type of protractor, but I invite you to carefully evaluate the "Master" the possibility of the magnet for the blade I think it is a great advantage in centering, also the ergonomics for a handle, I think, which is more effective in the "Master ". Obviously personal opinion.
Greetings.
Kindly yours

RickKrung

I got a PM reply from Vetako that the PRO+ will be available Friday.  I order it. 

I considered the advantage of the magnet, but decide that hand holding has not presented much of a problem with the Catra and I want the wider blade capacity.  The wider graduations of the PRO was a minor consideration as I do not consider these precision instruments. 

I hadn't thought about it previously, but I think it should be easy to rig an accessory blade holder to help with keeping the blade steady and even centered.  I'll play with that once it gets here. 

Rick

Scotty

As it turns out, I have two goniometers.
Long story, but the fact is I have one more than I can use
I realize we are not supposed to advertise here, but if I can help someone out who needs one.........
I am not a commercial enterprise, just an overzealous old guy with a new hobby.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Arthur

Hands-free stand for LASER GONIOMETER VETAKO PRO

Hannsi1957

So much work instead of using the model with magnets in.