News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to approach asymmetric bevels on Japanese Knives

Started by Chase E, April 28, 2020, 10:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chase E

Much of the Japanese cutlery I have come across while working in professional kitchens are asymmetrical grinds (70/30) in favor of the right side. While I am left handed I have spent some time helping others to sharpen their knives and working on a Japanese water stone the topic seems understandable but not yet fully mastered. I am now applying this application to my Tormek T8 and wondering if you can offer advice on how go about keeping these grinds in tact for my fellow cooks in need of knife maintenance. Is it easier to simply find the existing angle for either side of the knife and maintain that? It seems the manual method will never be exact and will fluctuate depending on the skill set of the sharpener. When approaching an asymmetric grind and a desire to set say the right side of the knife at 15 degrees, do I simply set the opposite side to 30% of that. I feel like I'm overthinking it.

I imagine this topic has been covered extensively and any specific threads that anyone can point me toward would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

wootz

The sharpeners I know, measure the edge angle on each side with a laser protractor, and then grind edge bevels at the original angle each side, using our angle-setting software for Tormek

E.g. Kent (Sweden): Sharper than a razor with asymmetric grind
https://youtu.be/iQ9OQepVlR0