News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Problem steel or crappy grinding

Started by Scotty, April 28, 2020, 04:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

I have been sharpening knives for friends and family for a while, consistently producing sub100 BESS blades.
I have encountered a set of cheap "Stainless China" steak knives that are making me crazy.
They had blades that were semi serrated on one side. Complaint was that they were tearing the meat, not slicing it.
I have encountered similar blade before and taken the "serrations" off with a belt then sharpened them per usual on the Tormek with very good results.
On these "blades from hell" I cannot get any sort of edge.
I have tried different angles, honing at a slightly greater and lesser angles
I have been using Wootz's angle control and a T4 220/1000, leather wheel and paper wheel with diamond paste
I believe I have encountered the only known set of knives made from unobtanium.
Open to any suggestions.
Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

John_B

In Vadim's book on deburring he briefly discusses knives like this. What is happening is that because of the steel's properties you are not able to properly hone the burr. Instead of honing it away it in eseence flops to the other side. This is extremely frustrating and there is little you can do. The best thing I have found is to minimize the burr when you are sharpening. Not the best solution but it will help some.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

wootz

"made from unobtanium" ;D

Approach to low carbon and low hardness knife steel is to NOT to use fine grinding wheel and polishing, and NOT to put an acute angle, as explained in our video https://youtu.be/t4df0tWH4kY

Scotty, your mistake is that you did this knife on the #1000 grinding wheel, and honed it on the fine paper wheel. This produces weak apex and that flimsy burr that is next to impossible to get rid of.
You  can try sharpening it on your coarse wheel #220 at 15 dps, and deburring at 17.5 degree on Tormek leather wheel with the Tormek honing paste. This should give you a reasonably stable apex of <= 150 BESS.

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan