News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new video from Knife Grinders

Started by Ken S, April 25, 2020, 12:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Knife Grinders has just posted an outstanding new video, Minimizing Loss of Sharpness. Vadim (Wootz) has made several very informative, ground breaking videos. In my opinion, this is his best to date. His background, both as an experienced, innovative sharpener and as a very educated, highly trained researcher, really shine in this video. The information and organization are outstanding.

On a less important level, Vadim has really increased his technical quality in this video. In his past videos, I did not mind overlooking the less than stellar audio and video/lighting quality because the content was so outstanding. In this video, he has brought both the audio and video/lighting quality to the same high level as his content.

I consider this video a must see at least once for all serious Tormek knife sharpeners. I plan to study it several times in conjunction with his deburring book.

Outstanding job, Vadim!

Ken

Oops....I forgot to postthe link:

https://youtu.be/eAiEPfGdpEo

van

I've seen it twice already, very long but very interesting even if obviously I use Italian subtitles. He certainly surpassed himself in this video. It can now be said that he is no longer a sharpener in the more classic term, like most of us, but we are in the university of metal sharpening.
Kindly yours

Scotty

I concur.
Just watched it and intend to do so again.
Interestingly, some of his observations were surprising,  ie; improved BESS numbers where you would expect spontaneous or time induced loss of sharpness.
Good stuff on the burr edge honing.
I was watching his technique closely as I have been having issues with my tip control.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

John_B

This reinforces what chefs and others that rely on sharp knives have known for a long time. Before use and throughout the day you need to steel your knife for the maximum sharpness.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Hogdog6

Thank Wootz!  Always learn so much from you.