News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Live Sharpening Class in German Language

Started by chiamsi, April 23, 2020, 05:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiamsi

For the German speakers here:
Tormek held a live sharpening class similar to the one before (in English) today in German.
Actually one of these guys is a German native and his explanations were excellent.

They answered all questions  asked (and those were different from the English lesson) and also mentioned that diamond wheels for the T4 will be released. :)
Also the  sharpening of concave knifes was demonstrated.
There will be also a link to a database of grinding angles of different knifes manufacturer's added later in the comments.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRaC2aUhH4E&feature=em-lbrm

John_B

Thanks for the link to the class.

I do not see the link to the sharpening angles in the comments? Can you post it please.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Jan

It is always beneficial if the presentation is in the speaker's native language.  :)

My reservation concerns sharpening the tip of the blade. Tormek recommends to rise the handle of the knife. My avatar shows that to keep the bevel angle the same it is also necessary to pivot the blade when approaching the tip.  ;)

Jan

Scotty

I have also found that following Tormek method of simply raising the handle produces some really funky tips.
I am experimenting with different techniques and am having a bit of success with a combination of lifting and rotating, concentrating on the flow of the water.
Anyone else?
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

chiamsi

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Thanks for posting the link to the class in German. I enjoyed it, even though, like Sebastien, my Deutsch is nicht so gut. (I suspect Sebastien's German is besser than mine. My last German class back in college was probably before Sebastien was born.)

One of my favorite places is Keim Lumber in Charm, Ohio. (Keim is a Tormek dealer.) Charm is village located in Holmes County, an area with a large Amish population. I enjoy eavesdropping in on the conversations between the customers and sales staff. They speak the Amish dialect of German, with an occasional "router bit" word. I can understand occasional words of Wolfgang's German, and smile with the occasional "router bit" word.

My memory may not be accurate, however, I thought the camera work had evolved since the English version class.
(Well done, Karl!)

Being basically familiar with the class from watching the English version, I was able to notice more subtle things. One example which comes to mind was the way Sebastien supported the thin tip of the fillet knife with his little finger. It was a nice inclusion.

Alas, my limited German failed me in my attempt to learn more about the planned diamond wheels for the T4. I have been a staunch supporter of the T4 ever since it was introduced. I use the two diamond wheels designed for the T2 with mine. I have been hoping that Tormek would introduce diamond wheels which can be used wet with the T4.

I would be most appreciative if one of our German speaking members would post a translation of the diamond wheel part.

I look forward to watching the Swedish and French language versions of the classes. I believe the most comprehensive class will the the combination of all four languages.

I look forward to the next class.

Ken

John_B

Ken do you think you could ask to be notified when a class in any language is going to air?

Depending on the time I might watch live.
Sharpen the knife blade
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

I have tried several times. I believe that Tormek prefers to notify via its web site. I can understand why. If they notify me, I will post it for all the members and guests to see. This could possibly cause excess sales, resulting in production backups and more revenue.

I will keep trying. (Are you reading this, Tormek?)

Ken

chiamsi

Quote from: Ken S on April 24, 2020, 07:30:25 PM

I would be most appreciative if one of our German speaking members would post a translation of the diamond wheel part.

I look forward to watching the Swedish and French language versions of the classes. I believe the most comprehensive class will the the combination of all

Ken
Translation: Diamond wheels for T4:
There is something coming. We won't lean ourselves too much out of the window, but this is coming"

chiamsi

Part 2 on axes and scissors in German is coming on May 7th at 3:30 pm CET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBa8VIbyUVc

TorbenDenmark

And they are doing a live session (drill sharpening) today at 15:30. Sorry for the late notification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIYfsqFfx-c

BR
Torben