News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Knife sharpening with sJ on T7

Started by fraseman999, April 13, 2020, 07:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraseman999

Hi Folks

Well my last post was 7 years ago. So I am a little rusty.
Actually had to go back on you tube! I had forgot how to use the Tormek.

Anyway I am back using it. Doesn't take long to get back into it.

One problem I am having. When I try and put a polished edge on a knife. It's catching on the water stone and it's a pain. And a bit scary.
So the wheel is coming to meet the edge. I tried turning the stone away from the edge like you would the leather strop. I have to move my guide to the front and the angles then totally change.

Any advice please

Thanks

Fraseman999

Ken S

Welcome back, Fraseman999.

The easiest solution to get you back up and running is to use your black marker on the bevel. Eyeball your knifein the jig until it is close to the angle you want and then turn your grinding wheel by hand just until you remove some of the marker. This works with either the vertical or horizontal sleeves.

You should also be able to use the vertical sleeves. Try using the stone grader on fine to let you start with a less aggressive grind. I think you will find that your muscle memory will soon get you back up to speed.

Keep posting.

Ken

Scotty

Kinda highjacking this thread a bit.
I just received my SJ200 (T4) and am not quite sure whether to use it edge leading or trailing. They are not inexpensive so I want to be careful.
I believe it was intended for edge leading, but could be used either way.
Not sure of pros/cons of either.
Interested in how others use theirs.
Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

RickKrung

Quote from: Scotty on April 22, 2020, 04:23:35 PM
Kinda highjacking this thread a bit.
I just received my SJ200 (T4) and am not quite sure whether to use it edge leading or trailing. They are not inexpensive so I want to be careful.
I believe it was intended for edge leading, but could be used either way.
Not sure of pros/cons of either.
Interested in how others use theirs.
Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can use it either way.  I have only used mine almost entirely edge leading, from the vertical USB.  I've heard/read of some guys having edges grabbing in edge leading.  I've never had any problem with that.  I wonder if they are applying too much pressure.  The SJ is only polishing/honing, removing very little metal, so I think it doesn't take much pressure. 

I think it is important to maintain good angle control with the SJ, just like with grindstones/wheels.  I think it would not be wise to use it like many use the leather wheel.  But, maybe that is just me.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Scotty

Thanks.
Good stuff.
I am a recent disciple of controlled angle sharpening (Wootz rocks)
Had a T4 for a while but was not really happy with the finished product.
I have been getting low 100s down to mid 70s (BESS) pretty consistently - without the SJ, or paper wheels.
I have been getting a huge improvement with stropping on an old Russian leather.
Will be interesting to see how the kangaroo tail strop performs.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan