News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

ref free hand

Started by bobl, June 07, 2015, 12:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Hi, its Bob The Knife Grinder.
I liked the idea of the home made improvised jig from the scissor jig for free hand work.
Would this same free hand be able to work using the SVD - 110 jig that is available, ( Although it is made for a different job )
But if it works?
Ken, what do you think?

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: bobl on June 07, 2015, 12:38:38 AM
I liked the idea of the home made improvised jig from the scissor jig for free hand work.
Would this same free hand be able to work using the SVD - 110 jig that is available, ( Although it is made for a different job )

Not nearly as well. The platform is too far from the bore for the universal support bar.

http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=1592.msg10009#msg10009
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I agree with Herman. I have worked with the SVD-110 (made two jigs with it) and have learned that the scissors jig is better designed for this work.

Ken

bobl

Thanks for the info.
Cheers.
Bob

tgbto

I was wondering, as I couldn't find any reference to it in here: Has anyone considered making some kind of customized sliding plate for the DBS-22 with the idea of sharpening small knives in mind ? I was thinking of a reusing the existing plate without the drill jig, or a couple of 3D printed parts that would slide inside the baseplate grooves, and locking nuts on top to accomodate for varying distance to the stone ?

The idea being to be able to rest/clamp the knife on the sliding plate to avoid scratches...

micha

I'm not sure if I understand the concept correctly - I can see a possible application for exclusively straight blades.
But it would prevent pivoting and at least complicate lifting, wouldn't it?