News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CBN wheel too big for T4 water trough

Started by Scotty, April 02, 2020, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty

As a famous commentator once said "now, for the rest of the story".
I now have two Woodturners Wonders CBN wheels for my TormekT4 - yea!
I even managed to expand the arbors to fit the T4 shaft (that's another story).
So here I go on my inaugural test run. Plan is;
a. Several runs on the SG 200 (at 220 grit)
b. Several runs on the CBN 600 and 1000.
c. A couple of passes on the SJ200.
d. Angle guided honing on the leather wheel.
EXCEPT, the CBNs, which I planned on using with a Honerite mixture, are too large (by a couple of mm) for my water trough.
I ground off the small protrusion on the bottom of the pan - to no avail.
I called the Tormek folks hoping to find a deeper pan, but they told me TS, do not use anything but Tormek stuff on the machine.
I would be happy to, but they do not make what I need or want.
Would appreciate any help.
I suppose I could get a T7 or T8 ($$$$$$$) and try the smaller wheels on them, but was trying to keep expenditures down.
Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Ken S

Scotty,

Measure your wheels. Do you remember the space craft which was lost because some bonehead engineer used inch measurements instead of metric? I suspect your wheels will measure eight inches instead of two hundred millimeters.
Assuming this is the case, the problem is with your wheels, not with your Tormek. The Tormek is, and always has been, a metric machine. Vendors should know this by now. Return the wheels; they are not designed for a Tormek.

Ken

Scotty

Good idea-except I do not know where else to get CBN wheels for the Tormek.
My whole game plan has been brought to a screeching halt.
Was trying to follow Wootz's guidance and book.
Thanks.
Not sure what options I have now other than to run them dry.
Unfortunately I am committed to this course.
Reckon I will have to adapt and work with what I have.
That what Marines, even old ones do.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

Elden

While it not the most ideal solution, you could fabricate a trough for your machine.
Elden

Scotty

Thanks.
Reckon I will give that a try.
I did try them dry.
My technique leaves a lot to be desired.
Kinda miss the water flow telling me where I am..
President Ronald Regan

Twisted Trees

Not recommending it, and you should make sure you can get another water trough first... But can you dremel out a couple of mm from the hook bit so it hangs a little lower?

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on April 02, 2020, 09:29:58 PM
EXCEPT, the CBNs, which I planned on using with a Honerite mixture, are too large (by a couple of mm) for my water trough.
I ground off the small protrusion on the bottom of the pan - to no avail.
I called the Tormek folks hoping to find a deeper pan, but they told me TS, do not use anything but Tormek stuff on the machine.
I would be happy to, but they do not make what I need or want.
Would appreciate any help.
I suppose I could get a T7 or T8 ($$$$$$$) and try the smaller wheels on them, but was trying to keep expenditures down.
Thanks

Can you not just rest the trough on a piece of wood?  In this picture I just set it on a 2cm thick small rectangular stone I had... raises it enough so water will cover the bottom of the wheel.  Block of wood or something should work.

High enough to work... low enough to clear. ;)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Quote from: Twisted Trees on April 02, 2020, 11:28:00 PM
Not recommending it, and you should make sure you can get another water trough first... But can you dremel out a couple of mm from the hook bit so it hangs a little lower?

Here is a link to a replacement water trough:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/3176-water-trough

CB's suggestion will work. However, I think in the long run, you will be happier with a proper Tormek T4. You can jury rig your T4 and present CBN wheels if you wish. Or you have several options:

You can return the CBN wheels and regroup.
D-Way makes CBN wheels which work well with the T4 and standard (and only) issue water trough. I have one in 180 grit and like it. It can be used wet or dry. Honerite Gold is essential when used wet. It requires a reducing bushing made by D-Way. The bushing is first class and only costs $13 US.
Tormek sells two diamond wheels in 200 mm, the DWC and DWF 200. These work very well with the T4, although Tormek instructs us to only use them dry and they are only officially marketed for the T2.
The third option is to return the CBN wheels, return to the SG-200, use it with the stone grader, perhaps add an SJ-200 and be patient. I believe we will see more options for the T4 in the next few years.

Keep us posted

Ken