News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

I finally decided to adress my issues with my Tormek T8

Started by heissim, April 03, 2020, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heissim

Hi everyone,

I am Simon, an enthusiast hobby woodworker currently living in Switzerland and I got some struggle with my Tormek.

I have had my Tormek T8 for quite a while now and I am easily able to sharpen my tools to razor sharpness, but I am struggling so much with the following topics:

1. Getting a square edge with the SE-77
2. The SG-250 glazing up (same for the dresser)

For issue #1:
It is extremely hard/impossible for me to get the SE-77 to produce a perfectly square edge. The stone is trued with the truing tool, the USB is parallel to the stone, water is fresh. I draw a line across the stone with a precision square and use the ruler of my Starrett square edge to me sure the SE-77 adjustment knobs (those for the camber) is parallel across the line. The result is a perfectly NOT square edge. No matter how much I fiddle around, perfectly square wont work.
Is it the way I apply pressure? How do I have to do that?

For issue #2:
The initial grinding after truing the stone is quite good but doesn't last all to long. It already falls off after putting a new bevel on a 2 inch plane iron.
As soon as I use the coarse dresser for the first time it basically sounds like honing on 1000 Grit and barely a difference to the fine side of the dresser. The grinding takes extremely long until I true it again (which then requires adjustments again.
I have a 325 Grit DMT Diamond plate but I am scared to ruin is when dressing the SG-250 with it. What do you think? I am close to buying the DC-250 to solve that problem, but I am not too sure about that. I would need to swap wheels all the time.

For issue #3:
Sharpening planer blades I wont even start with at the moment.

Best regards and a great weekend
Simon

John_B

I think we all share your experience with the SG-250 wheel. On the few occasions where I am setting a new edge angle I will true the stone to get a coarse finish on it. I find that after some use the dressing wheel will help but it returns to the middle ground between coarse and fine rather quickly. If I did a lot of work that required more material removal I think I would look at using one of the coarser wheel options. I think the time to change wheels would be offset by the grinding time.

I am inexperienced with the SE-77 so I will follow this to read what others have to say.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

micha

Hi Simon,

my experience with sharpening plane blades (which I enjoy doing now, after similar confusion in the beginning) may apply to your issue #1:

I'd suggest using your Starret square on the plane blade or chisel, not the stone. (Of course it's not a bad idea to start with a precise setup)

I start by setting the angle on the USB and then touching the stone and make some light passes. Next, control the result! You'll immediately get an idea of how the bevel will develop if you continue.
That's the right moment to correct the angle with the adjustment knobs, if necessary. It may take some time to get a feeling for these, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

The plane blade in the picture (6cm wide) has been sharpened with SG-250, then polished with the SJ-250. Even after changing wheels, I had to make some adjustments. (Did that yesterday, meanwhile I had used it, so the edge is no longer perfect, just in case you wonder :) )

Just my 2 cts...

Mike

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Simon.

Issue 1: You seem like you are doing things right. If you sharpen a second chisel, do you reach the same out of square edge? Jeff Farris, our forum founder, used to talk about the importance of finger pressure in square or out of square chisel results. Try using more pressure on the long side of the chisel.
Try blackening your bevel and checking just after starting to grind. You want an "early warning system" to let you know if your grinding is square rather than waiting until the entire bevel is ground.

Issue 2: We have had this complaint occasionally with the SB-250. I don't recall it with the SG. I would suggest you email support (support@tormek.se). They may be able to suggest a fix, or, if you have a defective wheel, they are also the people to inform.

Issue 3: Sorry, I can't help you with this one. After I bought the jig, I learned that my lunch box planer uses disposable blades. I hope you find other members who can help.

Do not hesitate to keep posting.

Ken