News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Review of the Tormek TS-740 Sharpening Station

Started by Ken S, December 08, 2015, 08:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

Quote from: Ken S on December 14, 2015, 03:49:42 AM
Nice thought, Mark.

Ken
Once again, how about using the forum members forum name when referring to them. There is no way to scroll "up" and find "Mark" as a poster.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

dragoneggs

Ken, I know this is an aging thread but I purchased a T-8 about 8 months ago and love it.  Wondering if you have any updates on the TS-740 cabinet now that you have been using for a long time I am guessing.  Yes, seems like way too much money but I like order and efficiency. I know I would put some casters on it as I like being able to rearrange, clean my shop with ease.

Your updated comments appreciated.

Ken S

Very good questions; I'm glad you asked. All too often, the "expert" comments posted are too near the unboxing and too far from longer term use.

I have mixed feelings about my work station. First, let's look at the dimensions. The width and depth are sized for the Tormek Rubber Work Mat. If you can get past the price prejudice, this is a very useful, well made accessory. I have found it an ideal size. It holds a Tormek with enough room to rotate. There is also enough room to set the stone grader, tool and a jig or two. It requires only a small footprint, which I like. It is luxuriously thick, and the lip more than catches any escaping water without being obtrusive.

If I could only keep either the work station or the mat, the mat would win hands down.

Height is a more complicated situation. Work height is a personal issue. The work station's height is taller than some of the several handbook recommendations. I'm 5'10" and have found it comfortable at its lowest setting. Ideally, I would have two heights, one for the vertical position; one for the horizontal.

I find the height of the lowest drawer inconveniently low. That's the quandry of combining a working surface and a storage area. If the storage height is convenient, the working height is too high.

The amount of drawer storage seems about right for most users. I have never used the foam organizers, although I can see where they would be good organization tools for many users. In my case, I have to periodically remove items from the drawers to prevent overcrowding. (For example, I have six support bars; five knife jigs; and three platforms for different purposes. They all fit in the drawers, however, things like the drill bit and planer jigs sit on nearby shelves, as do several grinding wheels and spare parts. As I stated, the amount of drawer storage seems ideal for most users.

I like the side hooks for the grinding wheels. I added two, bringing the total to four. I store the three diamond wheels and the Original SG on these hooks. Going forward, I believe these four wheels will cover almost all of my needs.

I have mixed feelings about putting the work station on wheels. Jeff Farris advised against it. He appeared with Norm Abram on the New Yankee Workshop, demonstrating the Tormek and offering some work station advice before Norm built his version. Norm's version does not use wheels. Jeff's objection to wheels was based on the heavier grinding pressure involved with the Original SG grinding wheel. The new diamond wheels must be used with much less grinding pressure. Wheel movement during grinding may not be such a pressing issue. Keep in mind that putting the work station on wheels will increase the working height.

I like rolling chests. Unlike the larger multi component chests, the Tormek Work Station loaded would be light enough to actually be moved for cleaning or reorganization. Comparing apples to apples, the price is not out of line when it is compared with a heavy duty Kennedy rolling chest with six drawers. It is a convenient size for a workshop.

Take a look at the photos on Wootz' website (knifegrinders.com.au) I think Wootz has an ideal set up for longer sharpening sessions. His benches are simple, easily moved, and designed to be used while sitting. If you are comparing options, I would give Wootz' benches serious consideration.

If you do order the Tormek Work Station, examine the shipping container very carefully. Refuse it if there appears to be any damage. I did not do this. The top of my unit is fully functional, but I had to pound out a dent. The work station weighs around ninety pounds (unloaded). I used a refrigerator dolly to move mine downstairs. Not a problem once there, however for a senior citizen working alone, it took some thought.

I suspect my reply asks as many new questions as it answers. I hope it helps you. Please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on December 17, 2015, 06:35:04 AM
I would be interested in seeing how they use a CBN wheel, and get multiple grits out of it. (current tech, the stone wins in that regard)

But the stand question, made me think of an old post, AND of getting old or having health issues:
http://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=172.0

Quote from: Ken S on December 17, 2015, 01:59:34 PM
Interesting and disturbing post, SADW. I have no clue about CBN wheels, however, back in 2005, the forum clearly  let down the poster with "the bum knee". I hope that the same post would receive more and better answers today.

Ken

I would agree the forum let down Mr. bnlsrv back in 2005.  I have the same issue.  I have a bum knee and some other issues and cannot stand for long periods.  I much prefer sitting for many operations and some are amenable to it. 

I have a wooden (plywood) stool that I brought home to CA from the jobsite of my first job out of college in NY.  I am not sure of the height as I'm not home to check it, but it has to be about 18-20".  I have my T8 on the rotating base on it.  I use a standard rolling (casters) office chair to sit on.  I started out sharpening on the rear (vertical) USB from the front of the T8, so, sort of "backwards" from the traditional standing behind it. 

The stool is not wide but I still have to have my feet apart when sitting at it for sharpening.  I think it would be great to have a stand where my legs & feet were under it, but that may make it too high for comfortable use while sitting.  I do not have any photos of it to share. 

I do not have any photos of it to share but will take some when get home and share at least one. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

GeoTech

I am thinking of purchasing a TS-740 and have been doing some research. First the price $725.00 is on the high side, my second concern is the condition it will be in when it arrives, it isn't mobile, and where is it manufactured. I was a mechanic in my younger days and started out with Kennedy tool boxes. So looking at the Kennedy line, the K1800 series offers a model 21040B, that is 21"x 18" with 4 drawers and 5" casters. My one concern the height at 34" but I could get it lower with 3" or 4" casters, or just build a small platform to stand on. The price I found is under $500.00 and it is made in America. Thoughts?

Ken S

I will try to keep this short (difficult for me). We are asking the TS-740 to perform two different functions. We want it to be a working bench for the Tormek, and, a storage unit. In my opinion, it does an adequate job of both functions, but not a stellar job of either. To be fair, that is a very tall order.

I like the width and dimensions of the TS-740. Height is a sticky wicket; I don't know if any stand is ideal in all situations. The same with weight and stability. I want a stand for my Tormek which is both portable and lightweight AND stable and solid. It should also be easily field adjustable for height and inexpensive. It would be nice if it could be used both sitting and standing.

I like Kennedy chests. NE Ohio, where I lived most of my adult life, was a plentiful area for used machinist's tools. I have several old Kennedy machinist's boxes and rolling chests. They are great for storing tools. I do not like the box you mention. In my opinion, the very large bottom drawer (or cabinet space) is more designed to lower cost than increase efficiency. I would much prefer to have three more drawers. Most Tormek items do not require deep drawers. Also, that box does not have ball bearing drawers like the TS-740 has. Better Kennedy boxes do have ball bearing drawer slides, and are comparably priced with the TS-740

For storage, in my opinion, the best low cost choice is a set of heavy duty metal shelves. I have a lot of Tormek stuff. Most of it does not require quick access, and can easily sit on shelves. Like many of us, I bought jigs for future intended use. For some of these, ten years later, the future has not arrived. A set of heavy duty metal shelves can hold Tormek and non Tormek items. The most used Tormek items can easily fit on a cafeteria tray: square edge jig, knife jig(s), platforms, TT-50, stone grader, and honing compound. If you also turn, you might want a second tray.

Following Jeff Farris' advice, I did not add castors until quite recently. When I needed to move my TS-740, I used my appliance dolley. Stig recommended a Bora mobile base, which I purchased and installed. It is a well built unit, although it requires some modification to install. The included bottom threads on the TS-740 are 5/8 x11 tpi (surprisingly, not metric) They may be difficult to fit directly with castors. Incidentally, the unit is manufactured for Tormek in Germany.
Edit: I have been informed that the TS-740 is manufactured in Tiawan.
So, I leave the decision up to you.

Ken