News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Goniometer - MASTER

Started by Vetako, March 22, 2020, 12:30:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetako

Hello!
Unfortunately, I received a notice from the moderator that this message was considered commercial. Therefore, I am forced to remove the content. I apologize to all of you.

John_B

This would be very useful for finding the current angles on knives before sharpening.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Interesting.  Impressive fabrication. 

Only question I have is about resolution of the deflected laser beams.  Are they any more "accurate" or "precise" than other similar devices?  I don't have much trouble holding a knife in the one I have but find the beams are often diffuse enough to make it not of much utility.  This is more true when the bevels are more convex, scattering the beam. 

A description of how this tool improves on that resolution would be most more useful, to me, than how the knife is held or the scale rotated. 

I guess I have a second question, regarding the holding system.  A lot of knives are stainless, which is supposed to be non-magnetic.  I have found that most of the stainless steel I have (which is a lot, as I do metal machining of a lot of [non-sharpening related] things out of stainless) is somewhat magnetic.  I've not checked any of my knives for their level of magnetism.  If a knife were to be non-magnetic, say for a ceramic knife, is there a way to hold it in your device? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

jvh

Clever design!

Quote from: RickKrung on March 22, 2020, 02:36:03 PM
Only question I have is about resolution of the deflected laser beams.  Are they any more "accurate" or "precise" than other similar devices?  I don't have much trouble holding a knife in the one I have but find the beams are often diffuse enough to make it not of much utility.  This is more true when the bevels are more convex, scattering the beam. 

A description of how this tool improves on that resolution would be most more useful, to me, than how the knife is held or the scale rotated. 

I have their Laser Goniometer PRO+ more than a year. Laser beam is very narrow and reflections very good readable, but it depends on the edge and grind quality, of course. See some photos below...
I suppose that laser is the same. New version seems to have a smaller scale diameter which means a little bit worse division but IMHO is still very good, much better than Catra...

I guess I have a second question, regarding the holding system.  A lot of knives are stainless, which is supposed to be non-magnetic.  I have found that most of the stainless steel I have (which is a lot, as I do metal machining of a lot of [non-sharpening related] things out of stainless) is somewhat magnetic.  I've not checked any of my knives for their level of magnetism.

Martensitic stainless steels are magnetic = most of knifes (hardening).

If a knife were to be non-magnetic, say for a ceramic knife, is there a way to hold it in your device? 

I think you can still hold a knife in hand...

Roger M.

Vetako, your products appear very well thought out, and certainly look amazing ... but Im having a hard time getting a response from you when I write asking for information on shipping to North America?
I sent you a note via your website a few days ago, but have heard nothing back answering my questions with regards to shipping costs and ordering instructions to Canada.

I'd really like to purchase some of your product (especially now that I see this new goniometer!), but need to know how to order it :)
I'll drop you another note via your website and await a response.

Talk soon!?

van

Quote from: Roger M. on March 23, 2020, 12:20:10 AM
Vetako, your products appear very well thought out, and certainly look amazing ... but Im having a hard time getting a response from you when I write asking for information on shipping to North America?
I sent you a note via your website a few days ago, but have heard nothing back answering my questions with regards to shipping costs and ordering instructions to Canada.

I'd really like to purchase some of your product (especially now that I see this new goniometer!), but need to know how to order it :)
I'll drop you another note via your website and await a response.

Talk soon!?
Hello,
I was unable to order from their site.
I sent an email to: info@vetako.cz and I solved the problem with answers in a very short time.
Now I am waiting to receive the new "MASTER protractor"
Kindly yours

Roger M.

Thanks Van.
I was using the form on his website ... maybe they don't 'check it often as they do email?

Seeing as you had good luck with the email address, I'll try that.

John_B

Please post your impressions of this device.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Vetako

van

Kindly yours

van

Hi JVH,

Can you please explain to me how to interpret (read) the reflections on the goneometer in relation to your published photos?
Thank you
Kindly yours

jvh

Quote from: van on March 24, 2020, 07:26:42 PM
Can you please explain to me how to interpret (read) the reflections on the goneometer in relation to your published photos?
Thank you

Hi van,

in general - outer points are grinded edge reflections, inner points/lines/arc are blade profile reflections.

You can easily read grinded edge (outer) reflections, they look like points and show grinded angle. The reason why there are nearly point reflections is small edge thickness (ca 0,8 - 1,0 mm) and polished edge (SJ wheel + PA-77/FlexCut/Chromox). On thicker edges the points stretch, non-polished edge produces blurry reflections.
1st knife: 40° (20 + 20)
2nd knife: ca 35° (17,5 + 17,5)
3rd knife: ca 35° (17,5 + 17,5)

Reading inner reflections is not so easy due different blade surfaces, grind profiles and thicknesses. Furthermore, the laser beam is relatively narrow and does not have to cover the entire blade, so I am very careful with interpretation of inner reflections...
1st knife:
Knife: ANV P200
Grind profile: High flat
Grind surface: Satin
Showed blade bevel angle: 5° + 5° with blurred trace to ca 7,5° + 7,5° due satin surface

2nd knife:
Knife: Custom hunting knife
Grind profile: Hollow
Grind surface: Polished
Showed blade bevel angle: ca 7° + 7,5°, slightly uneven grind is visible

3rd knife:
Knife: Custom hunting knife
Grind profile: High flat
Grind surface: Polished
Showed blade bevel angle: ca 5° + 5°

jvh

van

Thanks JVH,
excellent explanation, if you or someone else has other insights to be able to divulge mer better understand the reading on laser protractors, I invite him to publish his knowledge on the matter.
Thank you all.
Kindly yours

Jan

JVH, thanks for really excellent interpretation of the laser reflections. I fully agree with you. Your blades are perfectly symmetrical!

When the laser beam diameter is sufficiently large than the reflections carry info about the grind of the blade sides. Both hollow and convex (sabre) grinds generate stretched (not dot) reflections. Dot reflections we can expect from flat grinds with optical quality surface.

Jan

smurfs

Quote from: van on March 25, 2020, 01:17:34 AM
Thanks JVH,
excellent explanation, if you or someone else has other insights to be able to divulge mer better understand the reading on laser protractors, I invite him to publish his knowledge on the matter.
Thank you all.

Hi van

I've scanned and attached the Catra laser protractor user instruction leaflet.

The Vertako and Catra protractors have a similar operation so you may find some of the info of use.

Andrew