News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New Video From Wootz

Started by John_B, March 21, 2020, 02:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

Here is a great video for both new and long time sharpeners. Little things that will improve your sharpening process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmlMry0_SeI&fbclid=IwAR3z3bgSZR8QykdTN-9P9lgnYiyU217mYaW-2NicO88i8bt9MWxJSpw9gx8
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RickKrung

Quote from: john.jcb on March 21, 2020, 02:18:36 PM
Here is a great video for both new and long time sharpeners. Little things that will improve your sharpening process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmlMry0_SeI&fbclid=IwAR3z3bgSZR8QykdTN-9P9lgnYiyU217mYaW-2NicO88i8bt9MWxJSpw9gx8

Thanks for posting this.  I had just copied the URL and was going to also.  Great to see this collection of tips from Knife Grinders (Wootz). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

chino

Really great tips from experience! Need to watch it on a bigger screen to read his type

Thanks Wootz!

mstocker

Crap, just saw this but already created a new thread as I have a few questions on the video. Should I repost here or leave my thread open?

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=4248.0

RickKrung

Generally, I agree with Wootz' tips.

I question the last one, which is unclear, about working edge leading (off the vertical USB) from the front of the machine, as being "weird". Is this a "tip" or just an unqualified criticism? 

I do it this way. It would be helpful if it could be described what the issues are with doing it this way. I feel I can see what is going on better, but the main reason I do it this way is that I sit while working and this is a more comfortable position.  Not likely I'm going to change how I do, but an  informative comment would be more helpful than just labeling it derogatorily.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

I've added this to the Sharpening Handbook knife pages:  https://www.sharpeninghandbook.info/index-KN.html

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Roger M.

Quote from: RickKrung on March 22, 2020, 03:54:22 PM
I question the last one, which is unclear, about working edge leading (off the vertical USB) from the front of the machine, as being "weird". Is this a "tip" or just an unqualified criticism? 

A triangle between arms and body is the most stable thing you can create when working or holding something. In photography, when hand holding a camera, there are multiple ways to form some sort of triangle with your arms and body in order to keep the camera more stable. The camera is at one "corner" of the triangle.

In the "normal" position with a Tormek, you create somewhat of a triangle between the knife and your body as you work over top of the wheel. Your hands are stable, and you have excellent control over the pressure being applied. The knife is effectively at one corner of the triangle.

In the edge leading method, you're kind of bunching your arms up against your body, and because you're almost pulling down on the knife holder and knife to apply pressure, you only have your arms to work with ... rather than your arms and effectively your entire body in the "normal" position.

I too like to sit when doing almost anything in my shop, and I tried this "edge on" method when I first got my T-4. I gave up on sitting completely though, after realizing how little control I had over the knife with the leading edge method.
It's a bit uncomfortable to sit at a regular workbench height when sharpening with the "normal" method. So I stand.

Of course there is the short table - short stool method (like we see Wootz do in most of his videos) ... but personally, I don't like sharpening sitting all scrunched down close to the floor.
Standing at a normal height workbench, and sharpening the "normal" way means I get what I perceive as extra stability and control, both of which come from having the knife at one point of a body/arms/knife triangle.

(BTW, Woot's latest video is excellent, I learned some new things by watching it!)

jeffs55

That video makes me want to use something other than a Tormek and I already have one.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

wootz

I had to re-upload the "knife sharpening mistakes" video, of a better quality and somewhat expanded - the new link:
https://youtu.be/kRZTiv6XVgA

I've compiled it to help a rookie not to repeat the mistakes with Tormek we've done.

Ken S

Thank you, Wootz, for re uploading this video. It is definitely an improved version.

I had a different reaction than Jeff had. In my case, it reinforced what I already knew. The tool (Tormek) is quite adequate; the user could be much improved. Most of us have a mental block with sharpening. I recall a wise video discussing needed kitchen tools. When discussing the necessary knives, she referred  to the "big knife" and the "little knife". (chef's knife and paring knife) For everyday cooking, that's all that most of us really need.

In a typical sharpening session, as a home sharpener, I may typically sharpen three or four knives. However, i believe that most of us, myself included, go about sharpening with the mindset of having to sharpen twenty knives in a short period of time. In his videos, Wootz concentrates on sharpening only one knife. He focuses on making one knife very sharp, and his sharpened knives are VERY sharp. How many other videos have we watched where the presenter quits halfway through, stating only that the knife needs more work. We should really call this level of work "making the knife less dull" instead of "sharpening". Wootz stands out because he is both innovative and disciplined in his technique.

In my opinion, this is a very useful video for both beginners and more advanced users who want to improve their sharpening. Like the new Tormek online class videos, this is not a video to be watched just once. Yes, the casual viewer will pick up some good tips. To be fully appreciated, videos like these must be studied and the good practices implemented over time until they become habit. In this regard, the beginner will have an easier time. He does not have to unlearn bad habits, first admitting that his technique was not as good as he thought.

Ken

John_B

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

McEdge

Can someone expand on the use of the diamond plate in the video. 

Was the diamond plate used in place of the TT-50 truing tool?  Or, was the diamond plate being used to dress the wheel instead of the SP-650 dressing stone?  Even after watching that section of the video several times I am unclear on which function the diamond plate was used for.

RickKrung

I did not watched the entire video, rather scanned it and paid attention to the section where he talks about stone grading, from about 6:17-8:55 min. in the video.  I did not see, through scanning the entire video, where he addressed use of the TT-50 Truing Tool at all, none, nada.  So, what he demonstrated was the use of diamond plates for GRADING only, as you say, in place of - instead of - the SP-650 Stone Grader.  That is my read on Wootz' video on the grading section. 

I have not gone so far as to use diamond plates of the different grits that he recommends, but I think it is good advice/practice.  I have used only a 1000 grit diamond plate to grade the SG stone to the finest condition it will produce. I assume it is close to 1000 grit but have no way of confirming this.  I do use the coarse side of stone trader on the SB stone, but as he says it may not be effective and a coarse diamond plate would be better. 

Rick

cbwx34

Quote from: McEdge on June 12, 2020, 02:57:32 PM
Can someone expand on the use of the diamond plate in the video. 

Was the diamond plate used in place of the TT-50 truing tool?  Or, was the diamond plate being used to dress the wheel instead of the SP-650 dressing stone?  Even after watching that section of the video several times I am unclear on which function the diamond plate was used for.

It mainly dresses the wheel, it will also keep it flat across the wheel in relation to the USB, so you don't need to true it as often... but won't true an "out of round" wheel.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)