News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek vs. Makita Sharpeners

Started by Serhij, March 20, 2020, 10:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serhij

I've decided to invest in a sharpener for my shop and have narrowed it down to the Tormek or the Makita. I've heard rave reviews for both from those who use them, but besides price (the makita is cheaper) and bevel (Tormek radiused bevel, Makita flat bevel) are there any characteristics that really makes one system superior to the other? I don't mind spending the extra cash for the Tormek if it's a superior system, but saving money is always a good thing whenever possible. I also heard of folks who've bought one or the other and then changed their minds later. I know I only want to buy once.

I am, as always looking for sage advice. I'm about sandpapered out.
My blog about home and appliances
https://wisepick.org/best-benchtop-jointer/

jeffs55

I looked at the Makita and it seems as though it only sharpens straight edges. Would it sharpen a curved knife blade, I don't know? It is not pictured with anything but a straight edge. The Tormek will sharpen curved surfaces such as a gouge or the curve of a knife. The Tormek is then more useful if you ever contemplate sharpening any thing other than a knife, chisel, planer blade or other straight surface. The Tormek is then a multi tasker while the Makita is a one trick pony.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Twisted Trees

It really does depend on what you are sharpening, but as Jeffs55 said the Tormek sharpens quite a wide range of tools, from the look of the Makita (not used one) it is for planes and bench chisels

GeoTech

I does appear that one can only do straight blades. The water does not recirculate and must constantly be replenished and emptied, you also have the problem of varying grinding speeds across the grind stone surface.

John_B

The Makita is designed for joiner and planer blades only. All other things are not optimized.

For all around use the Tormek would be my preference.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

RichColvin

Quote from: Serhij on March 20, 2020, 10:31:00 AM
I've decided to invest in a sharpener for my shop and have narrowed it down to the Tormek or the Makita. I've heard rave reviews for both from those who use them, but besides price (the makita is cheaper) and bevel (Tormek radiused bevel, Makita flat bevel) are there any characteristics that really makes one system superior to the other? I don't mind spending the extra cash for the Tormek if it's a superior system, but saving money is always a good thing whenever possible. I also heard of folks who've bought one or the other and then changed their minds later. I know I only want to buy once.

I am, as always looking for sage advice. I'm about sandpapered out.

Serhij,

Regarding the Tormek and concave bevel, there are a few notes :

1. The amount of "non-flatness" there is very minimal.  There have been a number of postings around this on the site, but the summary is that the use of 250mm (10") diameter grindstone produces very little radius. 

This is especially true when the sharpened surface is thin.  I use the Tormek to sharpen my woodturning skews where the ground surface is 1/4" to 3/8" (measured from the cutting edge towards the handle, not the width of the tool), and I have not found this to be problematic.  On knives, this is often 1/8" or less.

2. Even where there is a concave bevel, I have seen that it really does not matter in most cases.  The best case for having flat grinds that I can remember seeing is from wood carvers who say that they have a strong preference for a truly flat (or convex) surface.  There is a discussion on the various profiles here:  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Knives-Carving.html

3. If you do need a flat profile, the Tormek has an option using MB-100 multi base (https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/other-accessories/mb-100-multi-base/ ).  This is designed for use on diamond wheels, but I have used it on the traditional grindstones, and it worked quite well.

What I really like about the Tormek is that it is a great all-around sharpening system.  I use it in my shop to sharpen a boat-load of stuff:

• wood lathe tools,
  • rose engine lathe tools,
  • metal lathe tools,
  • wood carving tools,
  • stone carving tools,
  • woodworking bench tools,
  • drill bits (and that is something I do often as it is so easy to do),
  • knives, and even
  • my wife's scissors.

I've not used the Makita so I can't compare it to the Tormek.  But, I have been using a Tormek since 2002, and I've not ever considered that I made the wrong call.

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S