News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Recommendations for T8 setup

Started by Tilling_guy, February 18, 2020, 05:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilling_guy

I am looking to get a new sharpening system and I like the T8 for multiple reasons.  I plan to primarily use it for knife sharpening and after I get good I would like to have a side gig for sharpening knives.  What accessories would you recommend to start out with?  I have seen quite a few posts about the FVB.  It looks like that is an accessory that is not put out by Tormek, is that correct?  How beneficial is the FVB to being able to put a good repeatable edge on a knife? 

Thanks for the advice.  I am learning more about this every day.

John_B

There are a number of different jigs available for different sharpening tasks. Here they are shown individually:
https://www.tormek.com/international/en/grinding-jigs/

You can also get them bundled in kit from Tormek. This is very individual based on your needs. The SVM-45 knife jig is probably the one you will use most often.

The FVB is a very useful non-Tormek accessory that comes with a computer program for setting honing and grinding angles exactly. While it is a nice addition you really do not need it to obtain a sharp edge on knives. Learn how to use the stock machine before you start adding things.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease