News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a different measuring block

Started by Ken S, February 05, 2020, 10:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In several of his videos, including this one,   

https://youtu.be/OvYN0jx_Hik

Wootz shows the measuring and squaring block he designed. The design is clever and straightforward. However, for me, a simpler block would work better. I have standardized on a Projection of 139mm. A simple piece of plywood with a stop block permanently attached 139mm from the edge would suffice, and I do not have to be concerned about keeping the moving block in place.

Recently I have been using just the SVM-45 with paring knives. I prefer this to using the SVM-00, as I did in the past to reach 139mm Projection. I have standardized on 125mm Projection with just the SVM-45. With the fixed block, I only need a strip of plywood 14mm wide to set next to my fixed fence. The combination gives me a consistent 125mm.

Ken

nugget

I had been considering making wootz's design but I also try to standardize on projection lengths. So far i've used mostly 50mm for chisels and plane blades and 140mm for most knives. The fixed measuring block sounds like a great idea Ken. Think I need to make up a couple for my next session.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Nugget. I chose 139mm for my standard Projection because it happened to fall within the common jig adjustment range for my chef's knives, slicers, and paring knives (using the SVM-00). 140 mm would work just as well. There is nothing sacred about my number, it just works for me.
I sharpen only my own kitchen and learning knives. I have standardized on 15° bevels. Standardization means very little adjusting for me. If I owned a busy and varied sharpening business like Wootz, I would want an adjustable block.

Georgie

Ken,

When you standardize aren't you always assuming that the diameter of the wheel remains constant?

George

Ken S

Good question, George. I would answer yes and no. Yes, diamond and CBN wheels retain constant diameter.
No, "Original" grinding wheels do gradually wear down. The real question should be how quickly does the stone wear?

Looking at Dutchman's tables, which are the backbone for my kenjig technique, maintaining my standardized Projection of 139 mm and 15 degrees, changing the Distance from 80 to 85 mm requires wheel wear from 250 mm to 220mm. A busy professional sharpener who wears out a wheel or more in a year should make up several kenjigs with increasing Distances. These would be switched as the wheel wears. For us mortals whose grinding wheels last for many years, I am less concerned about wheel diameter changes.
For those of you who use computer programs frequently, or with every knife, how much change in diameter do you measure in a session or in a month?

This is an interesting topic.

Ken

Dutchman

A simple solution is of course to adjust the projection length as it was intended with a fixed distance to the stone.  ;)

Ken S

Excellent point, Dutchman. Sometimes the disciples need to be reminded of the message.
I do recall your preference for adjusting the Projection rather than the Distance.

In my defense, knife sharpening occupies very little of my Tormek time. I only sharpen our kitchen knives and my pocket knife. My SG wears at a glacial pace. Wear adjustment is not as high priority for me as it would be if I had a busy knife sharpening schedule.

as always, best regards,

Ken

The batsman

I find the kenjig an excellent way of getting everything in a 'very close' position. I then use a pair of calipers and this calculator https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/ which I found on the forum to fine tune.
I've only had my t8 a few months and the diameter of the wheel has not changed discernibly (at all)
I feel this method makes setup much quicker and with the addition of a us430, once set I only have to concern myself with the projection length.

Dutchman

Quote from: The batsman on February 13, 2020, 09:38:38 PM
I find the kenjig an excellent way of getting everything in a 'very close' position. I then use a pair of calipers and this calculator https://connect.calcapp.net/?app=qq0pg0#/ which I found on the forum to fine tune.
I have the same app on my iPad.
Simple and fast method. ;)

Ken S

Like Dutchman, I recently added the calcapp onto my ipad. I agree with Dutchman's "simple and fast method" assessment. I would add accurate, as the calculations agree with the stone tablet tables the Prophet carried down from the mountain in the Netherlands. :)

Ken

chino

I am so glad I was able to get to this forum. The knowledge and experience with Tormek sharpening has greatly helped in a short amount of reading!

Smarter, not harder!

John_B

This is a great place to read about various techniques for obtaining the best edge. Along with the reading I also recommend practicing on different knives. It will reinforce what you have been reading.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease