News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a good example of a mediocre video

Started by Ken S, January 26, 2020, 01:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

https://youtu.be/Js1_Occokk0

One of the comments about this video starts with "Great video". Sadly, it is not great, or even good. While the intentions are no doubt good, the technique and facts are sloppy. Viewers who use this technique may be disappointed with the edge sharpness and incorrectly conclude that the Tormek can only produce mediocre edges.

I do not think the guy is incompetent. I do think he was unprepared. This kind of video is a teaching tool. A teacher has an obligation to his students to base the demonstration on solid facts and good technique. Beginning students need this solid foundation to discriminate between good and mediocre technique, In my opinion, this video teacher failed.

Josu V

Always can see in internet videos the way to do the things.
May be interesting to can see the way to do not the tings...

in my humble opinion, this video is an example.

Quote from: Ken S on January 26, 2020, 01:52:48 PM
https://youtu.be/Js1_Occokk0
I do not think the guy is incompetent. I do think he was unprepared.

Absolutely agree.

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

John_B

At the end of this video he instructs the viewer to dump the metal particles down the sink.

I think this is poor shop practice. The metal particles over time may clog the drain. The purpose of the magnet is to separate the metal filings from the water. You can then dispose of them in the trash.

My process is as follows for cleaning the trough:

a. After sharpening I lower the trough and let the particulates settle to the bottom.
b. I then pour off the clear water.
c. I remove the magnet and use the scraper to remove the metal particles and stone debris which I discard in the trash.
d. I rinse the trough with a little of the clean water and then dump it in the trash.

Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

John,

I agree completely.

My disposal procedure differs slightly from yours. My sink is across the basement from my Tormek. I siphon off most of the water from the trough (while still attached) using a turkey baster. With the water essentially gone, I wipe out the trough with a paper towel. Then a quick final rinse at the sink. It is important to avoid clogged drain pipes!

Ken

RickKrung

My workshop is my garage.  It does not have a sink, although I wanted to add one when I moved in 3 1/2 yrs ago.  I toss the water and grinding debris out the side door onto the gravel pad.  I first pour off the water and leave a little in the trough.  Then I remove the magnet and wash the metal shavings and remaining debris out with the remaining water and a little fresh water. 

I feel confident that none of the debris or shavings are toxic in any way.  I live in eastern Oregon, a lot drier than most think when they think of Oregon (the "wet" portion of Oregon is west of the Cascades mountain range).  Even so, we do get a fair bit of rain/snow.  I've not noticed any discoloration of the gravel in the areas where I toss the stuff. 

I would never toss any of it down the drain.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Rob

I drink mine....they breed 'em tough in Yorkshire :-)
Best.    Rob.

cbwx34

I want to play....   

Here's a video that you'll quit watching after 10 seconds (Ken will spit his coffee all over the computer at this point)...

https://youtu.be/ejTOYfRvups

(it's about as far as I watched, so I don't know how it ends).  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

You win the mediocre you tube submission award...... Yes, the Channelocks really impressed me........ :-\

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on January 30, 2020, 07:46:38 PM
CB,

You win the mediocre you tube submission award...... Yes, the Channelocks really impressed me........ :-\

Ken

;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)