News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

I made a quick guide for someone on what to change to use TormekCalc2 with the T-4... thought I'd add it here...

The red arrows point to the machine measurements, the blue are the ones for sharpening, and the green are the common answers used... either directly to the wheel (T USB) or to the casing (VUSB).

This is just for sharpening from the vertical position (I didn't check the other measurements).

Edit:  I learned after making this post that "Machine" (where it says Machine 1) needs to be blank if you're changing the settings in the D column on the main page.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

As you and I both know, my knowledge of and experience with the computer programs is limited. (I'm not being modest, only honest.)

I am curious to learn how settings (from the frame) for a T4 differ from a T7/8 with a grinding wheel worn to 200mm.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 28, 2021, 06:03:36 PM
CB,

As you and I both know, my knowledge of and experience with the computer programs is limited. (I'm not being modest, only honest.)

I am curious to learn how settings (from the frame) for a T4 differ from a T7/8 with a grinding wheel worn to 200mm.

Ken

The only real difference is the measurement from the center of the shaft to the top of the casing on the T-4 is smaller.

And it only matters if you set the height of the USB by measuring to the top of the casing.  If you measure directly to the wheel, there is no difference.

Pietje

Hello jvh!
The Excel sheet is superb to me.
What are the SWIFT banking data to send money to you?

Pietje

MartinC

What is the process for purchasing TormekCalc2?

Thanks

cbwx34

Quote from: MartinC on February 08, 2022, 01:25:45 AM
What is the process for purchasing TormekCalc2?

Thanks

Send a PM to Forum Member  jvh

jvh

Version 3.00 has been released (NOT available as Public version)

Introduction video is at https://youtu.be/EWMpvw2No0Y

Main news:

• File format change
    File format was changed from *.xlsx to *.xlsm, which supports Macros and VBA programming language. Without this step, it would have been impossible to overcome the existing limitations and continue the development.

• Data import feature
    Ability to import data from previous versions of TC, from 2.63 onwards. Import is supported from both Full and Public versions.

• Backup feature
    Possibility to back up the current TormekCalc status and option to backup/export the file to the original *.xlsx format. Such file will behave as TormekCalc 2.xx series.

Note: All users of the full version should have received the new version, if not, please send me a private message or email. Some messages are being returned to me as undeliverable, probably due to more aggressive anti-spam filters.

jvh

jvh

Version 3.10 has been released (available as Public and Full version)

Main news:

• Wheels [New sheet]
    New sheet "Wheels" which contains a list of available wheels for various Tormek grinders (T-8, T-4, etc.) and possibly for other ones.

• Revised Wheel table on TormekCalc sheet
    Wheel selection is now done using the drop-down list in the Wheel table on the TormekCalc sheet. The wheel specifications (image, grain size and nominal diameter) are automatically loaded from the Wheels sheet. This change allows an unlimited number of suitable grinding and honing wheels for different machines  to be added to the list and gives the user the ability to select the wheels used and specify their order. This change does not affect the actual diameter D values, which need to be entered/updated in the same way as in previous versions.
    Automatic image loading features are not supported in Office/Excel 365. There is no known solution other than static layout (as in previous versions). Due to these limitations, Excel 365 is no longer supported as of version 3.10.

• Jigs sheet update
    Specifications for KJ-45 and KJ-140 have been added to the Jigs sheet (default jig diameter = 11.8 mm).
    The "Order in drop-down lists" column have been added in the Jigs table which you can use to change the order in which the jigs appear in the drop-down lists. If no order is specified, the jigs are displayed in the same order as in the table.

• Hardness sheet
    Hardness info tables are now available  in the Public version.

• Data import
    Data import from previous TormekCalc versions is now available  in the Public version (import from 2.63 onwards).

• Backup
    Backup function is now available in the Public version.

• And much more...
    Internal changes, corrections, bug fixes, comments, etc., more in the Change history on the VB sheet.

Download link is in the first post.

Enjoy!

jvh

Note: All users of the full version should have received the new version soon, if not, please send me a private message or email. Some messages are being returned to me as undeliverable, probably due to more aggressive anti-spam filters.

SergeiDubovsky

Hi there!

Amazing work with the Calc! I just started using it and I have some newbie questions.

• I just did a first knife with it and the calculation was off by a bit. Here is the calculation:
    I have two Tormeks, Machine 6 is one with Front Vertical from Colvin. Target angle was 15dps, protrusion: 144mm.
    SG-250 support height was 172.19, SJ-250 on Frontal was 97.70. And that was off - I had to raise the support ~2 rotations to match the angle, according to sharpie. I wonder if something in my calculations is visibly off.
  • I wonder if it good idea to "split" the Jig Projection Length into protrusion from tip of KJ-45 to the edge of the knife like this:

The length of the KJ jig is fixed, so it would be much easier to measure only the knife sitting depth.
    If I am guessing right, the H1 on Jigs page is what I need:

But that one is protected, so I wonder if I am mistaken.

Thank you.

cbwx34

I may be wrong (been a while since I looked at it), but I'm pretty sure the "Front Vertical Offset" F needs to be changed to 20 (in the green box D13).  The offset is different for Colvin's FVB, and selecting the Machine doesn't change this (I think I had a conversation with jvh about this).

Anyway, try that (or maybe send a message to jvh) and see if I'm right.  I get a Height FUSB of around 101.   (That closer?)

This is why I like using direct to wheel measurements.    ;)

And you're right, that box under the Jig Specifications should be unlocked... I caught that too... you can un-protect the whole sheet and unlock it that way.

SergeiDubovsky

Thank you. Let me re-measure the FVB offset. I tried the 20, but it seems to ignore the value bellow minimum of 24.4. Let's see if @JVH notice this post.
Speaking of direct measurements, it got me thinking yesterday (at 2am...) https://electronoobs.com/eng_arduino_tut72.php

Would it be cool to put together an IR distance sensor, Arduino, some LCD screen and 3D print a mount that goes here:

It sounds simple, but I hope there is a simpler solution for the contactless distance sensor for the short distances. Something pre-made and battery-powered.

cbwx34

Quote from: SergeiDubovsky on October 31, 2022, 03:35:59 PM
Thank you. Let me re-measure the FVB offset. I tried the 20, but it seems to ignore the value bellow minimum of 24.4. Let's see if @JVH notice this post.

Under the settings sheet (page) change F26 to 20.  That should allow the change.  BTW, I'm assuming that you have the FVB pushed up against the machine.

(I sent jvh a message.)  :)

No idea about the sensor.

tgbto

That sensor sure sounds like a complex way to solve a simple problem  :)

SergeiDubovsky

Quote from: tgbto on October 31, 2022, 04:34:45 PM
That sensor sure sounds like a complex way to solve a simple problem  :)
Perhaps. That height measurement feels bit clumsy. There is no fixed point to measure against. I would gladly pay up for a reliable, fast and easy way to know the support height.

tgbto

Quote from: SergeiDubovsky on October 31, 2022, 04:48:01 PM
Perhaps. That height measurement feels bit clumsy. There is no fixed point to measure against. I would gladly pay up for a reliable, fast and easy way to know the support height.

Why don't you mesure USB to stone ? It's an easy measurement to take as you basically measure to the closest point of the stone, and you don't need any intermediate measurements that might compound the error....