News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

TormekCalc3 - Advanced grinding calculator

Started by jvh, January 23, 2020, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Hey jvh,

A quick question on upgrading from one version of TormekCalc to the next... Do you keep some kind of crude backward compatibility, so I can copy/paste the diameters and knife dimensions / angles / protocols ?

Cheers,

Nick.

jvh

Quote from: tgbto on May 03, 2021, 03:34:11 PM
Hey jvh,

A quick question on upgrading from one version of TormekCalc to the next... Do you keep some kind of crude backward compatibility, so I can copy/paste the diameters and knife dimensions / angles / protocols ?

Cheers,

Nick.

Hello tgbto,

good question. See below, I basically try not to change the structure of the tables, but sometimes it's not possible.

TormekCalc
- possible for green cells D10:D13 and shadow cells D16:D22 (since v.2.01)
- not possible in Wheel table (Real diameter, Machine, Grinding angle shift) as I have added new wheels in v.2.63

BatchCalc

- new module in v.2.63, no previous data

Knives + Tools

- possible for both databases since v. 2.01. Just select data between column C to AD (included), copy them to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste them as VALUES to the new version of TC2.

BevelCalc
- possible for green cells D7:D20 since v.2.40 ("Angle jig" calculation was added)

EdgeCalc
- possible for green cells D9:D11 since v.2.01

Materials
- not needed if no changes were made to Material table, otherwise insert rows, and copy/paste data

Jigs
- possible to copy/paste data, but it can corrupt translation in ,,Notes" column.

Settings
- not possible in Default values table as structure was changed
- possible for green cell in Machine table since v.2.01 - copy and paste data as VALUES into the appropriate cells in the new version of TC2

It is important that the databases can be copied without any problems, the other modules do not have much data and the upgrade should take about 10-15 minutes.
If it is not possible to copy the data at once, due to a change in structure, it is possible to copy and paste it in parts to the appropriate place in the new version.

jvh

tgbto

Thank you for the quick and detailed answer!

If I can copy/paste the knives table, the upgrade is going to be fairly quick as I will just have to change the wheel diameters on the TormekCalc tab, along with the values for the KG FVB which do not match the default values. I don't know if there would be a real interest in having the most commonly used FVBs available from a drop-down list with a Custom choice, same as the wheels. But all in all it's only a matter of filling less than ten cells.

Last, for the material, the only steel I have which I cannot find in the list is Hitachi GIN-3 http://zknives.com/knives/steels/ginsanko.shtml, semis stainless 59-62RC which I have in my Korin Ginsanko Deba.

I'll be experimenting with the batchcalc for my next batch of ... 2 knives ^^

Cheers,

Nick.

jvh

Quote from: tgbto on May 03, 2021, 04:52:38 PM
If I can copy/paste the knives table, the upgrade is going to be fairly quick as I will just have to change the wheel diameters on the TormekCalc tab, along with the values for the KG FVB which do not match the default values. I don't know if there would be a real interest in having the most commonly used FVBs available from a drop-down list with a Custom choice, same as the wheels. But all in all it's only a matter of filling less than ten cells.

Hello again,

could be, can you send me these default values? (But at first I will probably add some info table with values for different FVB types.)

Last, for the material, the only steel I have which I cannot find in the list is Hitachi GIN-3 http://zknives.com/knives/steels/ginsanko.shtml, semis stainless 59-62RC which I have in my Korin Ginsanko Deba.

I have added Hitachi GIN-3 and GIN-5 steels to the material table. Thanks for noticing.

jvh

tgbto

Hi !

Quote from: jvh on May 03, 2021, 11:21:39 PM

could be, can you send me these default values? (But at first I will probably add some info table with values for different FVB types.)

Sure: I have measured a default FVB distance F for my KG FVB of 27.8mm. I also set the min FVB distance to this.

I'm not too sure about the precision of the measurements because I am having a hard time precisely taking distances between elements that are not in the same plane. I have a total variable length HF-FVB of 146mm, which seems OK.

Cheers,

Nick.

jvh

Hello everyone,

new public and non-public version of TormekCalc2 is available (v2.67).

Main News:

• CompCalc [New non-public module]

Allows calculation of the grinding angle compensation if wheels with different diameters are used for grinding.
    It is a problem which, as far as I know, was first described by Gilles in this post and calculated using the Polishing angle calc, which is still available there. CompCalc is based on Polishing angle calc, all credit belongs to Gilles.

Although this phenomenon may not be visible on wheels with a similar diameter and small blade thicknesses, it can cause problems with thicker blades (eg. chisels) and when switching from a smaller wheel to a larger one (eg. 200 mm coarse wheel on T-4  and 250 mm fine wheel on T-8).

You can find more about this phenomenon in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qRUvSvcLQ

• BatchCalc [Non-public module]

The whole module for batch sharpening has been significantly redesigned so that new functions can be built into it.
    The step generation procedure has been completely reworked. Now the grit of the wheels is also taken into account, proceeding from the coarsest to the finest. If grit is not specified (or is not a number), it is assumed to be the honing wheel that is placed at the end. 

New unique functionality for grinding on wheels with different diameters has been added. It is a compensation layer that automatically calculates grinding angle corrections when moving from a smaller wheel to a larger one. There are two types of compensation, and using this feature brings unexpected grinding benefits...

You can find more information in the same video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_qRUvSvcLQ

Using and capabilities of BatchCalc module can be found in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qtyTKqQb1g

Attention: For several different reasons, I have decided that these modules will be freely available only to contributors and donors. There is a lot of work, time and know-how behind the development. If in doubt, please compare what the public version of TormekCalc2 (even the oldest) offers compared to commercially available applications. If you have further questions, you can send me a private message or e-mail message (see FAQ sheet in TormekCalc2).

• Materials

Added Hitachi GIN-3 and GIN-5 steels to the material table.

Ideas for improvement are welcome as well as feedback. Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Hint: If you have data in Knives or Tools sheet just select all uses rows between column C to AD (included), copy them to clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste them as VALUES to new version of TormekCalc2.

Enjoy!

jvh

Attention!

Due file size and forum restrictions (maximum individual size is 256 KB) is TormekCalc2 version 2.1+ available only on external web storage.

Download HERE (WebShare.cz, click Download File and then Download slowly).

Current version 2.67
(TormekCalc2_Public_v267.zip, packed size 2 026 804 bytes, TormekCalc_Public_v267.xlsx, unpacked size 2 186 094 bytes + sample pictures in the Knives and Tools folders.)

LarK

Wow just found this and it's a game changer!

Is it possible to add data for felt wheels and recommended honing angles like knifegrinders recommend? Understand if this is only for Tormek specific products^^
Would you be interested in adding Swedish language to the Excel file? I might be able to provide this if so. Cheers!

jvh

Quote from: LarK on May 17, 2021, 09:54:18 PM
Wow just found this and it's a game changer!

Is it possible to add data for felt wheels and recommended honing angles like knifegrinders recommend? Understand if this is only for Tormek specific products^^
Would you be interested in adding Swedish language to the Excel file? I might be able to provide this if so. Cheers!

Hello LarK,

yes, you can add data for any wheel or machine. There are 3 slots for custom wheels in hidden columns, but you can also change unused wheels data specification to something else. For honing at higher angles is designed "Grinding angle shift ±Δ [°]" function, see picture.

Any translation is welcome, if you do it you will become a contributor. Please use the "Language5" column on the Languages sheet, send me a PM for help if necessary, as there are formulas in some cells.

jvh

LarK

Great 😊 I'll give it a shot, dusting off the old excel skills. Great tip btw. I'm guessing it will be possible to save the offset angle for honing for specific knives/steels.

jvh

Quote from: LarK on May 18, 2021, 05:09:32 AM
Great 😊 I'll give it a shot, dusting off the old excel skills. Great tip btw. I'm guessing it will be possible to save the offset angle for honing for specific knives/steels.

Hello,

You can save the offset angle to Notes for knives/tools and Sharpening notes for materials.

I do not plan to load these values automatically, because I consider this concept to be problematic. As you may have noticed, I don't automatically follow the suggested procedures, instead I try to verify them and find out what they really are. My experiences suggest that the correct grinding technique and more precise settings between the individual steps have a significant effect on the formation of burrs, which can be eliminated during grinding and subsequent honing at a higher angles is not necessary.

jvh

Wolfros

Hello,
I could give the code in VBA to read the comments. Then you could adapt that in the appropriate language.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of English is very poor

Sub KommentarzellenAuflisten()
    Dim raZelle As Range
    Dim wsTabelle As Worksheet
    Dim loZeile As Long
    Dim raBereich As Range
    loZeile = 1
    For Each wsTabelle In Worksheets
        If wsTabelle.Name <> "TormekCalc" Then
            On Error Resume Next
            Set raBereich = wsTabelle.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeComments)
            On Error GoTo 0
            If Not raBereich Is Nothing Then
                For Each raZelle In raBereich
                    With Worksheets("TormekCalc")
                        .Cells(loZeile, 1) = raZelle.Address
                        .Cells(loZeile, 2) = raZelle.Parent.Name
                        .Cells(loZeile, 3) = raZelle.Comment.Text
                    End With
                    loZeile = loZeile + 1
                Next raZelle
            End If
            Set raBereich = Nothing
        End If
    Next wsTabelle
End Sub

Fluehue

There seems to be a password to download the new version.

Where can I get the code?

:)

cbwx34

Quote from: Fluehue on October 17, 2021, 10:40:35 AM
There seems to be a password to download the new version.

Where can I get the code?

:)

Send a message to jvh.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Fluehue

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)