News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My revised thinking about the SVM and KJ knife jigs.

Started by Ken S, November 29, 2023, 06:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffs55

I have never tried this but I wonder. Regarding the off center sharpening of the older Tormek knife jigs. As some of you know, some Japanese knives are sharpened on one side only. Would that make the older jigs useful since they "prefer" one side over the other?
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

cbwx34

Quote from: jeffs55 on December 28, 2023, 08:33:44 PMI have never tried this but I wonder. Regarding the off center sharpening of the older Tormek knife jigs. As some of you know, some Japanese knives are sharpened on one side only. Would that make the older jigs useful since they "prefer" one side over the other?

If there's an advantage, I don't see it.  You'd still have to match the angle on the one side, and it wouldn't match anything on the other side that I can see anyway... ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on December 29, 2023, 12:17:09 AM
Quote from: jeffs55 on December 28, 2023, 08:33:44 PMI have never tried this but I wonder. Regarding the off center sharpening of the older Tormek knife jigs. As some of you know, some Japanese knives are sharpened on one side only. Would that make the older jigs useful since they "prefer" one side over the other?

If there's an advantage, I don't see it.  You'd still have to match the angle on the one side, and it wouldn't match anything on the other side that I can see anyway... ???

I agree there isn't an advantage.  The unequal bevels result from the blade being not centered in the jig jaws and really only results when the blade is ground on both sides, turning the assembly over to do so.  Grinding a one-sided beveled knife, you would do just that, grind only one side and not turn it over, ever, except perhaps to hone it flat. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I believe we are looking something important with the SVM-45. With the milled indented surface of the fixed jaw, only one thickness of knife blade is exactly perfect. What we overlook is this "perfect" thickness is in the middle thickness range of most kitchen knives. As we deviate from this thickness, we introduce error into the evenness of the two bevels. Even Wootz, who pioneered correcting for this error acknowledged as acceptable error range.

If we group knives to be sharpened into those within the acceptable thickness range and those falling outside of this range, I do not believe the non self centering issue is such a large concern. Just sharpen all of the acceptable thickness knives with the SVM-45 and then those outside of this range with the KJ-45. Use each jig in its strong area.

Blacktailstillhunter

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread, I read it all and several of the linked articles with great interest.

I've been reading the Tormek forum for a little while without comment, so this is my first post.

I'm a T-8 user with a few other sharpening methods as well.

Really enjoy the forum, and looking forward to reading more. The search function works well for me, and I'm amazed at some of custom designed add on's, mathematical tables and tricks, and general thinking here.

Someguy

Has anyone looked at any of the Tormek clone jigs such as Jet? Their knife jig looks to be the same style as the SVM-45, but I do not know if it matches the quality of the Tormek. I have used other Jet products and was curious on this one. Since Tormek discontinued the SVM-45 I wonder if this is a viable alternative for those of us without one.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Someguy on February 22, 2024, 09:07:05 PMHas anyone looked at any of the Tormek clone jigs such as Jet?

My son bought me one of these

https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-wet-stone-grinder-plane-camber-jig

Have not had a chance to use it yet but it seems quite good. I may give it s short appraisal once I use it.